Photos+ now available for macOS

Does or could this app also work a image transfer to get photos from Iphone to a local PC?
If not, maybe that’s an idea to implement?

So far I have only found Onedrive that can do the task via cloud like I think it should be done:

1. Make pictures somewhere store locally on smartphone
  2. When in vicinity of your designated WLAN start upload of photos to a selected cloud provider or PC
  3. PC receives photos either by downloading from cloud or from smartphone directly into dasignated folder.

Everything would need to go realtime and 100% without any need for user interaction.
After download option to delete photos from cloud or smartphone or to keep them.

So far I have only found Onedrive app to do that in a fair but limited way. Upload in own WLAN without any user interaction works well. Sync to PC works well but you are limited to the Onedrive folder structure and cannot really simply download the files automatically to some specific folder. And it acts more like a broad mirror.

I would love to see something like that made to use with Storj as cloud just to get new the photos easy and fast automatically from smartphone to computer and then optionally delete.

That’s what I was trying to say – my phone is pushing 2 years, and the storage usage is still very low. Granted, I don’t take massive videos with it, but the amount of photos and videos I took during this time definitely exceeded the total available space on the phone (as measured by the size of files created in that period in the “originals” folder in the photo library on a Mac that fully syncs my library locally (which is then backed up offsite)). what you are describing looks like a bug, that seems to have been fixed.

No. Photos and videos get uploaded to iCloud immediately. iCloud is main storage. The phone is only holding a few most recently used ones.

This is an interesting usecase, and if iCloud Photos does not handle it well – I would report this to apple as a bug. This does seems like a fitting use case for third party storage integration…

Perfect! A lot makes sense now.

They don’t, because they can’t, because it’s end-to-end encrypted. I recommend this for reading Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Why is this a bad thing? My email hasn’t changed in 20+ years. I’ve changed 6+ email providers, but any email is still the same.

Hence, this is not a concern. I only use 1 email “account” for everything.

But then I have to trust your company to do security properly, and by default I don’t. I’d rater trust large vendor, who provides SSO services on scale, and you will only need to keep the [worthless for anything else token], that I can revoke any time if things go sideways.

BTW, I’m not arguing with you, just explaining my point of view, from outside, as a potential customer.

@photosplusapp, the email went to junk [at least in part] because you haven’t configured DMARC properly (you did not define the policy), and ARC failed as well. I’ll DM you full headers.

Thanks, I’ll ask our developers to take a look. Admittedly we’re not email experts, we are using AWS email service so I assumed they took care of these requirements.

This is something you need to configure on your domain. Amazon provides instruction, IIRC (it was a while I did it).

2 Likes

Not everything is end to end encrypted, so some of the content is available to Apple as they maintain the encryption key. This is why you can login to icloud.com and see your photos, as they hold the encryption key.

Now if you turn on advanced data protection, then more data is encrypted. iCloud data security overview - Apple Support

There was even some discussion last year that Apple may scan your on device photos even if you don’t use iCloud, but that plan seems to have been put on hold thankfully.

Apple has probably improved the entire iCloud sync and optimize process, but my personal iPhone 14 fills up until it’s 90% full before originals are removed from my device and only stored in iCloud, and sometimes it takes days before this happens, so I constantly get notifications that my phone is running low on storage space and can’t take more videos and I can’t seem to make it go faster.

Now when this happens, I just upload it Photos+ and delete it from my device, and I’m ready to take more videos :slight_smile:

I’m not sure why it’s behaving differently on your device, maybe it’s because you are storing 4TB on iCloud? Their own docs indicate that original copies are removed from your device only when needed to open up space Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Anyway there is always room for improvement with any app and we’ll certainly try to accommodate as many features people suggest as possible, so we certainly appreciate all the valuable input you have provided.

Thank you.

This app is meant to be a complete photo management solution similar to Google Photos or Amazon Photos, and not really a file transfer type app for copying photos to your laptop. There are some good apps for doing just this though, one that I use myself is called Photosync.

Thanks for mentioning Photosync. I cannot remember if I either have missed this app or have already looked at it a long time ago and it was lacking a feature I have required.
But will check it out again, looks promising.

I don’t know if what I have described is so much away from what your app is already offering. I see you have a Mac app so that the question how to move data between different devices and storage locations automatically becomes an issue. Either directly like phone to PC or phone to cloud. Or indirectly with the cloud in between. Depending on the use case either the photos in the cloud or PC would be the premier source to work with then while the other storages would server as backup.
I have seen other apps like https://www.hashphotos.app/ that offer indeed the photo transfer as separate app, so yes maybe it is some complementary feature that could be interesting for Photos+ as well.

I have tried to import a fairly large Photoset (around 14.000 photos and videos) and that has reliably crashed the Mac app on my M1 Mac Mini.
Is there anything you need from me?

As it stands right now, Photos+ doesn’t seem like a viable product for me :slightly_frowning_face:

Have you tried importing in smaller batches? There are many factors that come into play when importing a very large set of photos at once, including your device’s memory, network interruptions, etc. that could result in the crashes you are seeing. Importing your photos in smaller batches would probably work a lot better if you’re experiencing crashes.

Thank you.

Thank you for you reply (especially on a Friday evening!)
I have a few hundred thousand photos and videos to import so it’s not terribly practical for me to do that.

Is there any sort of logging I could send you to help pinpoint the source of the problem?

I have submitted the error crash report to Apple (not sure how helpful those are to you).

Looking at resources I don’t think OOM was an issue.

Even if the app crashes, it will resume where it last stopped, so actually it shouldn’t make a lot difference if you choose smaller batches. The crash reports should be reported to us automatically so our developers can take a look.

Are you placing the app in the background and doing other things while it’s uploading? Almost all crashes are due to the system running out of usable memory and the operating system killing background apps.

Uploads to s3 storage can use a lot of memory (specially with big videos which need to be split up and uploaded in smaller parts) so it might be helpful if you let the Photos+ app run in the foreground and also close any other apps that may be open when you’re not actively using the computer and see if it works better.

Thank you.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

The crash happens before the upload even starts and I keep it in the foreground. The dataset is in an SSD so unlikely to be storage timeouts.

I will keep submitting crash reports in the hopes something flags up. :slight_smile:

If it’s crashing on initial upload, it’s likely the photo or video it is trying to upload is corrupted and the app is unable to process it, and its causing a crash.

Please go to the Library section and click the red cloud icon in the upper left. This will take you to a screen that will show you the pending uploads in the order they will be uploaded. Remove the first item on the list and then try to do a sync again.

You can then try to add this photo again later after its finished with the uploads. Sometimes the OS will fix corrupted files if they are simply moved or copied to another folder.