Proposed changes to the method how Held Amount is collected

Tines,sno behavior and network change over time. Maybe the opinions at storj also?

Just another idea would be a certain amount held for your amount current data stored.
So for example: $3 per TB.

The pros:

• It doesn’t matter whether you incubate your drive or something.
  • It’s really a fixed $/TB of repair, which would be the case at the point of failure.
  • You don’t incentive people with smaller nodes, compared to those with bigger nodes. Because held amount in the end is the same for 2x6TB node vs 1x12TB node when filled to the rim.

The cons:

• It probably means that you won’t earn for at least the first two months a dime; this may also be true, at the moment you increase the size of your storage node.

For example if you have 1TB allocated, you will not be paid out till there’s $3 held if there’s also 1TB stored.
Since my nodes grow about 300-500GB/month, this would mean:

• 1m: 300GB, 0.15TB average over the month stored: 0.15* $1.5 =$ 0.23 earned, 0.3*$3=$0.9 should be held > $0.23 is being held, no payout.
  • 2m: 600GB, 0.45TB average over the month stored: 0.451.5=$0.68 earned, 0.6$3=$1.8 should be held > $0.25+$0.68=$0.91 is being held, no payout.
  • 3m: 900GB, 0.75TB average over the month stored: 0.751.5=$1,13 earned, 0.9$3=$2.7 should be held > $0.91+$1,13=$2.04 is being held, no payout.
  • 4m: 1000GB, 0.97TB average over the month stored: 0.971.5=$1,45 earned, 1$3=$3 should be held > $2.04+$1.45=$3.49, of wich $3 is being held and $0.49 is being paid out.

I think it can be not from amount you allocate but from amount you have data. with example 3$ pet tb, if after first month you have 100gb that mean held amount will be 0.3$ from full payout.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I meant, see the example. Because allocation can be modified by the SNO, while stored data isn’t supposed to (and if, you’re going to be DQ’ed).

1 Like

Exactly, I’m thinking the same way.

1 Like

Only the whole topic, just create it the Storage Node feature requests - voting - Storj Community Forum (official)
You can also add a polling to the specific post, use a Build Poll feature under the gear icon in the message composer when you compose your post.

However, @SGC is correct, you need to formulate it as more clear as possible to promote the idea.
If you have additions, you may edit your initial post and update it, please note - the time frame for editing is limited.
If you want to create an another idea, the current one should be closed to release votes (forum members have a limited credit of votes).