PSA: Beware of HDD manufacturers submarining SMR technology in HDD's without any public mention

from what i understand about windows storage spaces, its one of the few softwares on which i could see a SMR HDD working just fine… storage spaces is suppose to load balance based upon disk efficiency…
but i haven’t tried it out… storage spaces sounds kinda amazing tho… don’t get me wrong i like having zfs, but microsoft does make some very user friendly software…

had 8 hours of dt today a long continuous fight to upgrade and make my server work again.
2 or 3 hours of hardware and 5 hours puzzling over why my damn OS was just offline, must have gone through all configuration files in nano so many times, only to find out that i had changed to static ip since the last reboot 14 days ago, which made it want to have a netmask in the interfaces file.
such a rookie mistake lol, i do find it a bit odd that when a configuration file contains ip = 0.0.0.0
and you change it to an actual ip address, then you need to add more lines to the config file…
why the hell wouldn’t people just make it simple and have it so it has a netmask 0.0.0.0 for auto config or whatever… doesn’t have to be anything fancy… hell it could be # out… with a little description.
f’ing linux

1 Like