Question about fstab and virtualbox

Hello,

I’m actually looking for informations for install a storj node on my server.

It’s running under Linux, with virtual box installed on it for virtualization (Nexcloud in particular).

The OS virtualized OS data folder is hosted on the server (not in the virtual OS), shared with Samba, and mounted in virtual box with fstab :

//192.168.X.X/NextCloud /mnt/NextCloud cifs ,_netdev,users,auto,users,credentials=/home/rc36/Progs/.password,uid=www-data,gid=www-data,vers=1.0 0 0

That is to say the folder is mounted via fstab, but whitout UUID like asked in the documentation : is it a problem for storj?

Another thing, in nexcloud the data folder need absolutly www-data like user and group : did storj also need a special user name, or just the rights for read and write ?

Thank’s !

Cifs is a big problem, you can lose your storj databases.
I strongly recommend not using remote storage via cifs,nfs. Only local storage and iscsi working well with SQLite databases.

1 Like

Hello,

I didn’t know iscsi, thank’s for this solution.

I looked at this today, and it seem to work finely.
But in fstabd, except if I missed something, it’s not possible to mount the HDD with his UUID, just with something like /dev/sdb1.
Is it a problem with storj?

It could be a problem for you, if your system renames paths for drives after reboot or disconnect. Your drive will disappear and system could not boot

Try to figure out UUID for your HDD partition:

blkid

I finally found how mount the HDD in fstab with a UUID.

If it can help somebody, for the ISCSI I used this tutorial :

ISCSI storage on ubuntu 18.04

@rc36 I would like to ask you some question how you adapt your shares to iscsi. Did you use the VirtualBox share or not at all?

Hello boistordu (are you french ?),

I don’t use the virtualbox or samba share, but a ISCSI share like descripted on my previous message.

Like this, the additional HDD, which is only use by storj storage, is recognized in virtualbox like a real HDD, not a simple share.
It’s important because like this linux is able to manage file and folder’s rights.

If needed, I can look in the week more in detail how I did it.

Okey yeah so you basically activate the service on your localhost and configure everything like it was a Remote share from a nas with iscsi activated, correct ?

Effectively, in a first time I installed on my real computer the HDD, the correct software (TGT), and configurated it.

After, in my VM, I installed what they call “iSCSI initiator”, and configurated it.

After this two steps, in the virtual machine I was able to see my HDD with the command lsblk.

the last step was to simply mount it with fstab.

All this is correctly described in the link above.
There is two tutorial, one for ubuntu 18.04, and another for ubuntu 20.04

Yeah so acting as a remote share but in your localhost. Thanks for that