Question about Storj Node

I believe this changed recently:

So it shouldn’t take that long.

The question is more: is there any advantage to run that many nodes.
It is recommended to run one node per drive.
Having 10 nodes on one drive doesn’t really add any value, it’s even going to be way more complicated to administer for checking their status, scores, etc. until the multi-node dashboard StorjLabs is working on is ready.

The most common and recommended way to start with Storj I believe is simply to start a single node on a disk, and once it is almost full, start a second one if you have another disk with spare space, and so on.

If the vetting process might not take for ever if you have 10 nodes, the sure thing however is that they are going to have 10 times less ingress each than a single node, so you won’t receive any more data with 10 nodes than with 1 node.

If you have 10 disks within your NASes (I’m not using any NAS myself so I’m not clear on how they make space available when they have many disks), and if they all run anyways for other things, I guess it does not hurt to start 10 nodes.

On a side note, you might want to make a copy of @BrightSilence’s Realistic earnings estimator on your own GDrive and play with numbers to see how relevant or not it is to create a node with as much as 20TB of space, as it may take 2 to 3 years to fill up (based on current activity).

In my humble personal opinion, it does not hurt to start more than one node, like 2 or 3 maybe, with a total shared space of around 8TB to begin with. But starting with 10 nodes sounds a bit overkill to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes