Raid 5 failed. 3TB node dead. Recovered partially and going through GE thanks to forum

i kinda try to steer clear of seagate… but if they start consistently making good drives then sure ill buy seagate… seagates really bad rep i think comes from the major flooding event the better part of a decade ago… their drive reliability after that was terrible at best… these days their drives seems fine… but i haven’t quite forgiven them… also saw someone working in data recovery saying don’t get seagate… their platers tends to loose their coating which then hits the heads and your entire data just becomes silver snowflakes inside the drive…

but thats one guy saying that… might not even be a thing… i know i’ve had a few seagates die on me, so i want to punish them by no repeat business… i’m sure they are fine these days… i mean how long can a data storage device company survive with a annual failure rate of maybe 20-30% on drives… that must be killer for business and something people will whine about for years and years :smiley:

on the upside i guess that just means cheap reliable drives for those brave enough to buy seagate lol

4 Likes