Rasberry Pi 4 with Sata Hat

From logical point of view YES, but manufacturers will keep this disproportion as long as they can - it is like petrol cars vs electrical ones. At the end it is cool that you have options at different price points, then you can choose optimal to a scenario.

If you look for cost optimisation, I would recommend looking in downgrading other components rather than upgrading disks to more expensive SSDs.

Recently I tried downgrade components as much as I can. I got cheapest CPU I could - 1.6 GHz Celeron (with one core LOL…my phone is faster than this) and it was enough. Then You could downsize your motherboard - going down in size is more expensive than bigger version but saving on electricity in the long run.

PSU performs most effective when utilised at 50% so < YOUR-POWER-USAGE > times 2.Those are also cheap. I use 350W which is still too much but I got it cheap. RAM can be downvoltage (same as CPU).

Minimalize your OS processes. Linux and similar UNIX based are best at this. As this machine is used for Storj only, you don’t need GUI. Unless Storj is a side project on your main workstation.

Length of ethernet cables can waste a lot of energy especially in large quantities (think datacenter). In home environment it is still worth to consider having your wires as short as possible, You can go as short as you can and place your node next to the router as this is the closest place to get to the internet:)

Hope it helps. Good Luck!