Realistic earnings estimator

New theoretical maximum: 20TB

Over the past months I have made continuous small adjustments to the network behavior stats used in the estimator. Most importantly we’ve seen an increase in delete behavior in recent months. Initially I didn’t want to immediately adjust the delete percentage to account for this, but it turned out to be a frequently returning pattern that in the end deserves to be taken into account. It’s still not entirely accounted for in the numbers as it has proven to be intermittent and has shown some slow down recently.

I don’t have the exact changes, but here’s a list of what I’ve seen change.

• Increased delete traffic
  • Slightly decreased egress
  • Offset by an increase in repair egress
  • Ingress total had dropped for a while but saw a recent slight increase again
  • Vetting takes a little longer on certain satellites

With all these accounted for, the bottom line is that due to the increase in deletes, the theoretical maximum potential for nodes on a single IP has dropped significantly. Even though not all the deletes have been adopted into the new numbers, the maximum potential storage would be around 20TB. My nodes store a total of just under 18TB and have actually shown a slight drop in total stored recently.

This leads me to reiterate by now well known advise. Start with the storage you already have. If you want to buy, don’t go crazy. It’ll take almost 2 years to fill up 8TB and 5 years to fill up 16TB. Don’t buy more than that for now. In the mean time keep an eye on the estimator as I update it frequently. Network behavior can change at any time. I’ll be sure to let you know when I think more investments than this could become valuable.

13 Likes