Realistic earnings estimator

Did you include repair ingress in that? My previous 2 months were roughly 1.2TB and 0.8TB, so 1TB seemed fair.

It’ll take a lot longer than 2 years to get to the theoretical limit of 40TB (technically never, but after 10 years you’re still at 38TB). With the current traffic I would advise not to go over 24TB as that already takes 3 years to fill up. By that time you can always decide to expand then. Funny enough this matches with the Storj recommendation of having nodes between 8TB and 24TB in size. Turns out that was pretty good advise.

I would say, don’t count on it. While by that time there may be many more customers, there will also be many more nodes. Looking at the future based on what we know now, I actually don’t expect nodes will get it much better than they have it today. But I’d like to state that that is mostly educated speculation. While the sheet is based on actual current network performance. So I should probably stick with what we actually know.

I was partly wrong, August was 1.1TB but September was only 0.6TB (repair ingress included)

I would say your average of 0.85TB is close enough to 1TB then. Especially since the previous months it was actually much higher and I don’t want to keep bumping it up and down constantly. I’m not entirely sure why I saw a little more ingress, but that’s just more confirmation that 1TB seems to be a decent level to put it on right now.

Still looking for more input on deletes btw. Right now my full node saw about 2.25% of data being deleted. I rounded that up to 2.5% for now, don’t want to be too optimistic in the calculations. Hopefully we get deletes in the graphs (and db’s) soon, so we can have much more exact data on that.

1 Like

If I understand this right you are saying 40TB is the limit because by the time you have that much data then the deletes = the ingress ?

Correct, but keep in mind this is very theoretical and in practice you’ll likely see it fluctuate over time. You may see significant drops before you even get to that point during bad times and go far beyond during good times. It’s just an indication of what can roughly be expected to be some soft limit. There is also likely to be a certain subset of data that will “never” be removed. Which might lead to endless growth but really slow.
I guess what I’m saying is don’t buy hundreds of terabytes worth of HDD’s expecting to fill it.

1 Like

Can I close this voting to release some votes to the participants? The wiki should be editable still.
Or maybe just move from the voting category?

• Close this voting
  • Move out of the voting category
  • Leave as is

0 voters

Closing the voting would also prevent people from responding, so please don’t do that.

Right now the votes represent people voting for an official earnings estimator. People can still retract their votes if they want to vote on something else as well.

If no official version is being considered, then I guess it can be moved if we can get a definitive response on that.

1 Like

I do not expect the “official” earnings estimator any time soon. So, your version is only available version at the moment.

Hey @BrightSilence – love the estimator you’ve created and the consistently excellent replies you post across the forum. Thank you.

Wouldn’t the 40TB soft limit you’ve mentioned above be a 40TB per /24 limit and not necessarily a 40TB per node limit?

1 Like

Aww thanks! Yes that is correct. It’s a per /24 subnet soft limit. However, deletes have been really low recently, so the soft limit might go up. It’ll just take quite a while to get there.