Recommended way to expand disk capacity

I’m currently filling 6 of those HDDs at the same time, plus 2 nodes that are already full and one HDD used for personal backups. The USB3 speed has never been an issue. Though I do have the db’s on an internal SSD cached array.

That fan is very small and needs to move a lot of air inside for ten drives, is it really enough?

It’s a 140mm fan, plus one in the power supply. It’s cooled better than the NAS it’s attached to.

1 Like

Oh, I missed the second fan. Right, makes sense!

What did you connect it to? To the Synology?

Yep, Synology DS3617xs. I’ve got a totally of 19x spinning rust in these devices now + 2x SSD for cache.
Since the NAS only has 2 USB ports, I can’t afford to have fewer bays per port.

You still have eSATA
“Synology Expansion Unit DX1215 to support up to 36 SATA drives.”

And how many nodes?

Yeah but the DX1215 is 3x as expensive and still bottlenecked, so its a bad idea to extend an internal array to it. You’d also need to buy 2 of them to get to that 36 HDD total.

I have 13 nodes ATM. 1 of them is on testnet though, so that doesn’t really count. 4 internally in the NAS, the rest on individual drives.

“The NAS integrates an Intel® Xeon® D-1527 quad-core processor”

do you know that you are “breaking” the TOS? :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Restrictions. You will operate the Storage Node in strict accordance with the terms of this Agreement and in no other manner. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you will not:
    […]
    Operate more than one (1) Storage Node behind the same IP address;

Yes… Anyone running more than one node is… I can’t take that seriously. This CPU is basically idling even with 13 nodes running.

1 Like

:wink:

Does this thing provide access to SMART?

Looks like it, though Synology doesn’t show it in the interface anywhere like they do with internal HDD’s, but I can access SMART from cli.