Recommends a hard drive

Hello community!

I would like to know what hard disk is the most recommended for a new node. I seen many users with storage nas with redundancy but is too expend and complexity for me and I wanted to know which hard disk will be fine for star a new node with my raspberry pi 4.

Many people use internal hard disk for create a node but Why? I know that exist special disks for store data of 3,5 but I seen that the price of hard disk of 2,5 external is cheaper, 4-6TB for 100€ approx, and consume low electricity, maybe they are SSD It’s a bad option for start? Have a low live maybe? In this moment I don’t want use redundancy it’s my first node.

Will be fine to know whitch hard disk you can recommend (style, company…)

Pd: Excuse me for my English, I’m learning it :slight_smile :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s already a thread on that subject:

Oops! I didn’t see it. The moderator can delete the post without any problem.

1 Like

There are no 6TB 2.5inch drives, 5TB is max.

Also, all 2.5 inch drives above 2TB (with ONE exception) use the SMR recording technique, with is not recommended for Storj

2 Likes

Correct. This link might help someone who wants more information about it.

1 Like

The bigger HDD, the better TB/W ratio. As well as TB/$. Look for CMR drive. I suggest go for:

1. Exos X16
  2. SkyHawk
  3. WD Purple
2 Likes

That’s not true, 4TB drives offer the best price to capacity ratio.

4x4TB vs 1x16TB will loose on electricity bill. You have to spin 4 drives instead of 1 drive. Make the math for 5 years and you will see the difference.

As well you have to have 4 separate HDD enclosures, that’s ±15-20eur each.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 17.20.47 PM

Even not taking in to count 3 times more electricity, 16TB drive have better TB/$ radio.

For some reason preview shows 451eur for 16TB drive, but if you open the link, you will see 414eur.

2 Likes

I also have a best price on 4TB which I bought almost 50 of them.

1 Like

I recommend this webpage for $/TB ratings: https://diskprices.com

In my localization 8-12 TB drives are usually the cheapest, they occasionally reach 15 EUR/TB with promotions.

1 Like

I checked for germany:

Somehow, 4TB drives seem to be really expensive on amazon.es :smiley:

Lets assume, that these disks are spining 24/7 for 5 years. Electricity cost is 0,13eur/kwh, average power usage 7W per disk.

50x 4TB drives ~7W each = 350W for 200TB
vs
12,5x 16TB drives ~7W each = 87W for 200TB

1 year: 50 drives = 400eur
1 year: 12,5 drives = 100eur.

5 years: 50 drives = 2000eur.
5 years: 12,5 drives = 500eur.

More or less the same:

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 12.59.40 PM

I kinda agree on what you’re calculating. Having more small drives will cost more in the long run.
from my initial research, external 2.5" draws only around 2W but I never test it myself
but still your point is valid and it may be best to invest ‘more’ at the beginning and save elec cost later on

it depends on how cheap you can get the 4TB drive. sometimes you can get a huge bargain for it so let’s say you save elec XX EUR per year but it will take Y years to get that cheaper elec cost back. sometimes worth sometimes not. simple CAPEX vs OPEX

I have seen a trend though in past few months or even year that HD is getting cheaper. like more 20-30% cheaper than 2-3 years ago. I were buying something like 25-30 EUR per TB for 4TB, while the >4TB is exponentially more expensive. tech is better nowsadays

I really like the Western Digital Data center drives such as HC530, these are large capacity, >14 GB, low energy and long life. I have bought them in the past for $200-250 each on ebay new. For me reliability is the main factor.

1 Like