Reduce disk size

I’m sorry, I don’t follow how this thread is related?

I’ll try to give more details on my thoughts and assumptions.
Right now, my understanding of what’s happening is as follows:

1. A node goes offline.
  2. Once it has been offline for more than 4 hours, satellites assume it may be lost forever and start repairing pieces it was holding, little by little. I assume they do that only for pieces that fall under the threshold (52 currently IIRC), and that these pieces get back to 80 pieces amongst other nodes.
  3. Progressively, pieces that get repaired successfully get flagged as removed from the offline node.
  4. The node gets back online at some point.
  5. Satellites stop the repairing process.
  6. During the following days, bloom filters sent by satellites make the node delete all pieces that got repaired elsewhere while it was offline.

What I don’t get is why you would do step 3. If pieces weren’t deleted from the offline node, it would mean even more pieces available when (if) it comes back online, which means even more network resilience?

And if it would be a concern to have too much pieces on the network because of that (and too much money to pay SNOs as a consequence), the repair process (step 2) could repair data chunks to 79 pieces (instead of 80) just in case the node comes back online. Let’s call that “partial repair” :wink:

Now, there are probably elements above that I don’t get right as I do not know precisely how the Storj network works to be honest, but hopefully the reason I find this behavior strange is clearer now? ^^

Something may be wrong with my reasoning, please let me know :slight_smile:

Oh :confused:
I took the liberty of reviving the following thread then: