Remove Tracker cdn.segment.com

It’s OK to want data. It’s not OK not to ask the user whether they want to give you data, or not to tell them what is collected (and to what purpose) if/when they do consent.

That’s a hard legal requirement in the EU these days, and not really open to discussion.

3 Likes

It’s just been said that it’s not required by some. Is it required then or not? It is run by you, so I presume that that is the person that would get a fine for non-compliance in case it went online. It is an internal website though, so even in that case the necessity is questionable (in my opinion, maybe not by law).

As a part of a product/ecosystem that allows the owner to earn money from the system, asking the owner for permission/notifying the owner should be mandatory. And also a very nice gesture.

1 Like

Exactly. googletagmanager, google-analytics, and even api.segment.io can be blocked, but cdn.segment.com is required to do the SNO signup.

You “have to”, meaning “you like having metrics”. Is having metrics more important than having signups? You’re okay with some subset of users failing with this error?

(index):284 Uncaught TypeError: analytics.user is not a function
     at onsubmit ((index):284)
2 Likes

The data is not anonymized and contains the unique Node ID.

{
  "timestamp": "2020-07-01T01:10:43.100Z",
  "context": {
    "page": {
      "path": "/",
      "referrer": "",
      "search": "",
      "title": "Node Dashboard",
      "url": "https://storj.local:14002/"
    },
    "userAgent": "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/74.0.3729.169 Safari/537.36",
    "locale": "en-US",
    "library": {
      "name": "analytics.js",
      "version": "3.13.5"
    }
  },
  "integrations": {},
  "properties": {
    "name": "Main Page",
    "path": "/",
    "referrer": "",
    "search": "",
    "title": "Node Dashboard",
    "url": "https://storj.local:14002/"
  },
  "category": null,
  "name": "Main Page",
  "messageId": "some id",
  "anonymousId": "some id",
  "type": "page",
  "writeKey": "some key",
  "userId": "unique Node ID",
  "sentAt": "2020-07-01T01:10:43.100Z",
  "_metadata": {
    "bundled": [
      "Segment.io"
    ],
    "unbundled": []
  }
}

If you really need to track your node operators, inform them and make a function to turn this off.

10 Likes

I just noticed that the “cdn” analytics seem to have been removed from the dashboard… as of at least Version 1.10.1 …

Unless there’s something strange about my browser or I’m not looking carefully enough.

2 Likes

oh you are right. Thank you storjlabs for removing the tracker!

3 Likes

Thank you for removing this.

However there were replies suggesting that you have this as an opt-in (informed consent) feature which have been ignored.

I tend to opt out of these things by default, however if the reason is justified and explained well, I think that’s there’s a good proportion of SNOs that would be happy to help, just be open and upfront about it from the start.

4 Likes