Renting unused disk space

Since you’re posting this to the StorJ forum, you could run your own node… Although, I’m not sure if those rates will be cost effective.

Peak earnings from raw storage:
$1.5*8 = $12/month

Peak earnings from 1Tbps with 2TB cap (treating all as client upload, with no overhead, repair, downloads, or deletions):
$20*2 = $40

So, theoretical maximum earnings is $52/month… However, there are several problems with these calculations:

1. Time to fill node, it will likely take over a year to fill the node (traffic has significantly slowed lately)
  2. Client download traffic, the highest paying (at $20/TB), is extremely unlikely to max out 2 TB a month
  3. Do you actually get a true 1Tbps, and is this symmetric?
  4. Where is the server located (response time/ping time from the client to the server)?

A realistic StorJ profit calculator maintained by the community: Realistic earnings estimator (However, I would expect this case would lead to the calculator over estimating earnings for this case)

This gives me a theoretical earnings of $40/month after running for one year (with the version available today: 2020-11-27T05:00:00Z); however, I believe you will be fairly unlikely to obtain these results.

If you’re already paying for the server, you might as well run your own node on top; but for someone else to give you a guaranteed $30/month for what is actually not very likely to happen… I’d say they are likely better off passing or using it to host some other service, as StorJ is currently unlikely to hit the upload volume needed to make this profitable for a while

4 Likes