Reputation loss during 1 week of downtime

Why after the first time don’t we just have the node shut down and let operator try to fix the error?

Or is it a security issue with people faking data or something?

1 Like

A couple of people have put scripts together that stop the storagenode in case of audits failed.
You can’t do much if a piece is corrupted but it can save your bacon if your USB hard drives got unmounted or something.

That particular quote applies when the response times out. In this case the reason could just be that the node is temporarily too busy to respond. You don’t want to kill the node if that happens, this would cause too many nodes to go offline too often. Usually this will result in the next audit working just fine and the node won’t be dinged for it.

Something similar goes for other issues. If data is corrupt, there is really nothing that can be fixed. Either enough data is still fine that the node can survive it or there is too much corruption. It’s better to let the satellite find that out right away and disqualify the node or give the node a chance to recover right away.

The other scenarios like when the storage location is unavailable are already being worked on to make the node stop instead. Remaining audit failures signal an issue that really can’t be fixed by the node operator, like actual missing or corrupted data. Stopping on those would really help no one. Better to keep it going and get it over with to either find out the lost data is little enough to be survivable or enough to get disqualified.

First of all, sorry to revive an old thread.

I’m moving home next week and my nodes will be offline for ~3-4 days. Does it continue not being a cause of disqualification?

I suppose my online score will drop, but that is recovered after 30days.

1 Like

You should be fine. Your online score will drop and will stay stable for roughly 26 days before going up again.

Just be aware that a node offline for more than 4 hours gets flagged as potentially lost by the network which starts reconstructing data elsewhere. When you get back online, you’ll lose some of your data in the next few days: that’s expected.
I experienced it unintentionally when my ISP went down for 40+ hours once: it made me lose around 1.6% of data during the following 7 days. YMMV.

3 Likes