Requests to download deleted file

I found few topics with “file does not exist” but I think I have different case.
Here are few examples from my log. Unfortunately I don’t have all logs from day 1 to check all events.
File was available and downloaded several times without issues

{“L”:“INFO”,“T”:“2021-04-02T08:21:31.849Z”,“N”:“piecestore”,“M”:“downloaded”,“Piece ID”:“HZXBMW6BFOY5CB7BWJ36FYH4WMQPELH3N44Z6EBZ2IRLXVMK7EXA”,“Satellite ID”:“12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”,“Action”:“GET”}

Later this file was deleted and I have following entry in the log

{“L”:“INFO”,“T”:“2021-04-04T09:14:05.452Z”,“N”:“collector”,“M”:“delete expired”,“Satellite ID”:“12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”,“Piece ID”:“HZXBMW6BFOY5CB7BWJ36FYH4WMQPELH3N44Z6EBZ2IRLXVMK7EXA”}

And 30+ events over few days to download this file that was already deleted

{“L”:“ERROR”,“T”:“2021-04-15T11:01:01.408Z”,“N”:“piecestore”,“M”:“download failed”,“Piece ID”:“HZXBMW6BFOY5CB7BWJ36FYH4WMQPELH3N44Z6EBZ2IRLXVMK7EXA”,“Satellite ID”:“12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”,“Action”:“GET”,“error”:“file does not exist”,“errorVerbose”:“file does not exist\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpcstatus.Wrap:74\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Download:508\n\tstorj.io/common/pb.DRPCPiecestoreDescription.Method.func2:217\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcmux.(*Mux).HandleRPC:33\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpctracing.(*Handler).HandleRPC:58\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).handleRPC:111\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).ServeOne:62\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).Serve.func2:99\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcctx.(*Tracker).track:51”}

Any guess what is wrong?

I am using docker on linux and it was recently updated to the recent 1.26 version. Watchtower is working to update and it is working fine.
No usb. Direct sata disk connection.

The only part that is confusing me - 2 weeks passed between delete expired and such errors in the logs are still coming. For one piece that error is repeated 30+ times.
I don’t think there is issue with my file storage since I got success downloads before the delete expired event. After the delete expired the file it is obvious that file is deleted so it cannot be retrieved any more.
Why satellite is still proposing this file to download by clients? I am quite sure satellite deleted that file earlier but I don’t have logs from previous month.

Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Looks like this error is gone. Something was not updated on satellite side so someone constantly tried to download deleted file.
2021-04-15T17:21:13.415Z - the last attempt to download
2021-04-04T09:14:05.452Z - “M”:“delete expired”
If I am not wrong expired file is deleted after one week from the trash. So more that 2 weeks someone tried to download deleted file.

{“L”:“ERROR”,“T”:“2021-04-15T17:21:13.415Z”,“N”:“piecestore”,“M”:“download failed”,“Piece ID”:“HZXBMW6BFOY5CB7BWJ36FYH4WMQPELH3N44Z6EBZ2IRLXVMK7EXA”,“Satellite ID”:“12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs”,“Action”:“GET”,“error”:“file does not exist”,“errorVerbose”:“file does not exist\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpcstatus.Wrap:74\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Download:508\n\tstorj.io/common/pb.DRPCPiecestoreDescription.Method.func2:217\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcmux.(*Mux).HandleRPC:33\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpctracing.(*Handler).HandleRPC:58\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).handleRPC:111\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).ServeOne:62\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcserver.(*Server).Serve.func2:99\n\tstorj.io/drpc/drpcctx.(*Tracker).track:51”}

I can still see the error here today.

Hi, this is an issue with expired objects not being cleaned up properly.

Some of the database queries didn’t scale as well as we hoped and hence it was disabled. Hopefully it’ll be solved with the next satellite release, unless there’s some other issues.

There’s no negative downsides to the storage nodes besides the confusing errors.

3 Likes

I assume that means these pieces despite still being in the database would still be excluded from audits then?

Yes, they are excluded from audits.

1 Like