Revisiting the Question: Feasibility of Large-Scale Storj Nodes

As far as the current ToS is concerned, it’s strictly speaking not against the ToS (Node Operator Terms & Conditions) as it hasn’t seen any updates since we went over it last time (find it in the forum). But, although not being against the ToS, it’s not compatible with the concept of STORJ because multiple nodes on the same location can end up with copies of the same part of a file increasing the likelihood of failure of the concept. However, you can set up your own VPN with free resources from Oracle for instance.

Actually I’m seeing an ingress of 4TB a month divided over three IP-addresses. So this might be compatible with your observation.

Yeah, and starting many nodes after each other with low assigned space. Because as long as they are being vetted, they draw data from another pool and fill up much sooner than after being vetted (100 audits per satellite).
So, the node I started about 20 days ago grew 30GB/day for 10 days and now grows about 10GB/day like the other nodes on the same /24-subet. The latest node I started about a week ago, is still growing 30GB/day.

So, theoretically, at this moment I would be able to get about (3*10*30)+((20+10)*10)=1200GB per /24-subnet in a month (in your case probably even higher, because you’re not having already 3 nodes per subnet) by just starting three nodes in sequence with 10days in between. At this moment I have in total 11.5TB in less than four months using three IP-addresses, of which one was sharing it’s /24-subnet with another SNO.

Mind the fact that growth isn’t linear. So the first 10TB will be filled up sooner, than see second 10TB. Which also will be sooner filled up than the third 10TB. And do on …

STORJ won’t make you rich in a wink of your eye. So it needs a long term vision and commitment to make it profitable. And to enroll in the commercial STORJ node operator program, you need to fulfil some criteria you can read about here: Announcing Storj Commercial Storage Node Operator Program

1 Like