Second node port

I have several computers on the same network, what would be better to mount a node in each one with the same email (identity) or better an email (identity for each one ?.

Another question to be in the same network (now I have one mounted with the 28967), would I have to put a different port for each one? how can I do it?

Thank you

1 Like

You shouldn’t have multiple nodes unless your first node is full. You will not get more data by having more nodes in same network.

For new node need new indetity. it can have same email, just get new key and generate ne indetity.
You dont need to wait first is full, nodes will share trafic, and will work faster when there is big load like now. and yes you need to configure different port, if you have separete pc then you can configure in router port forward, if pc is the same then need to configure entierly enother ports and make forward.

1 Like

Voila la configuration de mon premier noeud

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300
-p 28967:28967
-p 14002:14002
-e WALLET=“0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”
-e EMAIL="user@example.com"
-e ADDRESS=“domain.ddns.net:28967”
-e STORAGE=“2TB”
–mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

et pour le second noeud juste changer le port en 28968

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300
-p 28968:28967
-p 14003:14002
-e WALLET=“0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”
-e EMAIL="user@example.com"
-e ADDRESS=“domain.ddns.net:28968”
-e STORAGE=“2TB”
–mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/identity
–mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/config
–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

Ne pas oublier d’ouvrir le port 28968 dans ton routeur

1 Like

this is not true. Started a new node on 19th may and it is vetted on 3 satellites and hosting 422GB of data while my 1 year old node is not 100% full. The real question is “is it worth it ?”

Ever since you had two nodes incoming traffic has been split among them. You didn’t get more traffic.

yes, and as a result better performance and less db locks :slight_smile:

Yep it could definitely help for that. It also spreads risk. So I’m not against starting a second node before the first one is full.

1 Like

ce que j’ai fait, démarrer un deuxième noeud après que le premier soit plein

I would imagine that would be sensible, as the second node will need a fair amount of time to be vetted.
Personally I think I’ll start a second node when my first one is half to 3/4 full

If the long term goal is to have multiple nodes I would think it’s best to get the second node up right away if you already have the hardware running, or at latest once the first mode is fully vetted. It still takes a full 15 months to get fully out of payment hold back, regardless of the amount of data.

You want at least one vetted node with free space at all time. That way you get 100% of possible traffic. So, I would definitely wait to start the second one until the first it vetted on all satellites. Then start the next right away. You might even want to start the third as well. But depending on the size of the disks at some point it makes no sense to have say 5x10TB running and only have 1TB used on each. That’s just wasting power at that point. It also really doesn’t matter whether you get the held back months now or later, you’ll have to go through those months anyway.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll do that. I’m nearly vetted on all satellites (I’m ignoring stefan-benten.de as that’s just a test one that’s soon disappearing, I think) so will be starting a second node in a couple of weeks. :slight_smile:

It might not disappear but be repurposed instead. Either way I don’t think it makes sense to wait for that one right now as it’ll likely take a long time to get vetted.

Yes, that one’s still at 17% wile my three remaining ones are in the 80s and 90s…

This is not what people suggest to SNO’s. Everyone is suggesting to have 1 node her HDD rather than a raid with multiple HDD’s and 1 node. So… don’t be surprised to see new questions on how to achieve this now.

My 1 node is approx 70% full and I’m not seeing much new traffic. The node still has approx 2.5TB available so I wont bother to create a 2nd node.

The advantage of a 2nd node is split risk. You won’t get more data but if one drive fails, you lost less data.
So if I had spare drives, I would start the next node once the previous one has been vetted.
That way when one drive fails, it might contain only 20% of the data you have stored on all drives.

This is dangerously close to going down the RAID vs no-RAID discussion. :laughing:

it’s no-RAID vs no-RAID :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Edit: sorry thought this was the other thread lol… yeah it’s close to raid vs no-raid. The advice however was similar to the other thread and is about timining with no-raid