Slow downloads of TrueNAS updates (Switzerland)

If we are discussing the subject, just wanted to add that with the exception of Russia (obvious reasons) major hubs are very well represented, arent they? :- )

Screenshot from 2024-04-06 13-37-02
Screenshot from 2024-04-06 13-37-21

It seems to be in their roadmap

It’s not that simple - speed isn’t only about peering. The server (download.truenas.com) also needs to be able to deliver whatever speed you’re expecting.

The server in Frankfurt just doesn’t seem to be able to deliver these downloads with more than ~250 Mbit/s on average.

I also tested this with servers in east and west US, and these downloads are even slower there - I haven’t seen anything above ~200 Mbit/s on average (not served through Frankfurt, but New York and Los Angeles).

So IMHO this issue isn’t related to Init7, and nobody sees multi-gigabit download speeds.

1 Like

I think you are mixing up nodes with S3.
It is not the same. S3 peering is bad, and no node can change that.

I don’t know DataPacket. But let me say it this way, anyone who is unable to offer 1GBit/s at DE-CIX is a complete joke to me. So if DataPacket is able to do that, great peering would improve. If not, DataPacket is a joke.

Don’t overthink it guys, it is not rocket science!
There are tons of services out there, that are capable of doing this.
I am not asking to install a cache server so I can get 25 GBit/s on my home network, I am not even asking for 9GBit/s speeds I get from almost every other download, I am only asking for 1GBit/s which should be a no brainer in 2024.

True, but peering is normally the bottleneck.
And you have cache servers.

The “server”, in this case is STORJ.

Then it is a bad “server”.

Of course it is not

Well, so everybody is experiencing that awful performance?
So this brings me back to my old question:

As for your comment about mixing up nodes with S3. Well, yes and no, I wrote that it does not matter that much because of the underling network architecture. S3 as storj does it, well I dont know, but as far as I currently understand it, it will never be a competitive product. I will risk saying that in the long term (assuming there is long term for storj) it as a distraction. As for DataPacket check them out by yourself (datapacket.com). They do have about 50 locations globally with local routing on their own low-latency 150+ Tbps private backbone. As for the cache server, I think that actually it is a great idea to differentiate and to offer premium service to customers. However, I am not sure if the underling software infrastructure may currently allow such a thing.

1 Like

I totally agree. It will never be profitable, and as we can see, is a bad product. So we even offer it? Why offer something like S3 ISO downloads for TrueNAS?

100% agree!

What underling software? But yeah, S3 will never work for STORJ. They have to use native, otherwise all benefits of STORJ fly out of the window (I hope this idiom exists in English :))

1 Like

The default setting in TrueNAS for update is “Check for Updates Daily and Download if Available”. So I guess TrueNAS doesn’t care about speed, they just want it to be cheap.

Unless they got a special deal, egress is expensive on STORJ.

There is a reasoning for offering S3:

It would be good if S3 would be more expensive for customers as it is much more expensive for Storj. Currently using native has no monetary incentive for customers. Instead there is an incentive for using S3 → No additional cost for development work but has the same savings.

Storj could/should offer (free or discounted) development work for native integration against long term storage contracts. That would be a double win: Long term customers and lower running costs.
And if these businesses are partners or resellers then the have even better arguments for their customers to switch to Storj. Then they could market a special native Storj integration against a S3 Wasabi/Backblaze/AWS standard integration.

Maybe at some point becoming a reseller or software partner could include the mandatory native integration into the desired software application. That would be awesome.

2 Likes

Unfortunately you are only the one customer/consumer (?), who have this experience so far. Nobody reported about issues here.
Would you like to file a support request to handle it properly? Submit a request – Storj DCS

Sure about that?

Then why are others here saying the same thing?
Like @anto294?
Or @flo?

Again, I am not asking for rocket science or 25GBit downloads. I am only asking to saturate a 1Gbit line. Which should pretty much the norm in 2024, no matter if it is a Linux iso, an “ISO”, Steam, drivers, basically every pro Software…

Anyway, I submitted a request.

@Alexey Why only You always answers?
Wheres the other forum leaders, i think You are being utilized too much.
You are perfect for tech problems, but company strategy, management questions are better suited for some ppl that stay silent too much , and they are constantly hiding behind you lol, i don’t think You should do others’ work in this field.

EDIT: Ops wrong thread, oh well not gona delete, in general any thread is good for that statemen, make other forum members sweat on uncomfortable general storj company questions from now on! lol

request was dropped, because I have no payment method in my account.

Our Customer ToS clearly state that personalized support is only available for paying customers. You are free to add a payment method to your account if you would like to get personalized support.

4 Likes

Because I like this Community and the technology :slight_smile:
However, for this particular problem there is no other reports on the TrueNAS forum, so I do not know what to say.
MTR is good so far, so there should be no more routing problem via some German telekoms. And the speed should be good everywhere in Europe.

1 Like

Germany has left the room …

Sorry for Offtopic but in Germany sadly 1Gbit line is far from the norm.
In Most areas it’s difficult to get more than 250mbit/s :confused:

Was @Alexey’s idea not mine. But funny that he liked your comment :joy:

1 Like

He recommended making a support ticket under the assumption you were a paying customer, not a user with a frozen free trial account.

1 Like

Yes, I thought you are a customer with a PRO account. Frozen free trial user cannot have a personalized support, I’m sorry.

no worries. This is probably the wrong place anyway, since it is not about STORJ but TrueNAS offering these downloads.