Storj Competitor

Nope. You need to have:

1. Which satellite
  2. API key
  3. Encryption phrase

If you mean generated link by uplink share, then it will contain satellite, child API key, child encryption key and access rights.
Having this you can use it only for what the owner decided to share. The owner can revoke this access in any time.

If you would build a service like Mega on top of Tardigrade then probably the same would happen. As the Serviceprovider you would be asked to make sure that there is no copyrighted material uploaded. Only if you can manage to forward the encryption process to the user by offering an easy to use desktop tool or something you might be able to protect yourself (as Serviceprovider), but law enforcement can always force you to somehow bypass your security.
SNOs should be safe though as they have no way of knowing what they store and also no way of reconstructing the data.

There is no way to upload a file as is in the current implementation. You always uploads encrypted pieces. Neither Storj (Storage Node Operators) nor Storj Labs and Tardigrade can be sure what kind of data is uploaded. For all parties (except customer) those are random encrypted noise.
Perhaps you did not know, but each piece is transferring between uplink and storagenode directly without satellites via secure channel of course.

2 Likes

If you open a service to upload file your server would be client that encrypts the data, if you canā€™t forward it to the user, then you become responsible for the data

This is one of the reason that we do not have it. All such gateways always customersā€™ deal.
If you want to upload and share - you must install the software on your end, which will encrypt and shred your data to pieces before uploading to the network.

I host sia/scprime too and they dont fill disk if you use zfs, this happens just in windows. At moment i host sia/scprime internxt and lot of storj nodes. And only storj cant be used with nfs, other coins support it and works ok. I dont like filecoin system requirements, its ridiculous just for hosting dataā€¦

2 Likes

@Alexey any idea about making Storj.io and tardigrade.io more animate like https://filecoin.io/ so for the layman people who visits can just see that animation and may invest in Storj. Right now STORJ website has too much written content which is not easily explainable to the audience it requires techy person to understand those things.

Thanks

1 Like

I have the reverse opinion. I greatly dislike scrolling through the ā€œPop and Wow!ā€ eye candy to get to the meat of how the technology actually works. Also, those fancy web pages use a lot of excess processing powerā€¦ I typically search around for the 4 pt font ā€œHow this actually worksā€ linkā€¦ and then close the fancy landing page as fast as possible before my PCs fan kicks inā€¦

4 Likes

wanted to try sia 3 years ago but didnā€™t get it working seemed a bit complicated at the timeā€¦

i hear zfs for windows is still very temperamental, iā€™m pretty happy with zfs for linux.

i bet one can make the whole nfs thing workā€¦ its a common database issue, did look into it a bit but ended up not bothering.

well storage is changing rapidly filecoin may simply be ahead of its timeā€¦ saw some stuff on ā€¦ i forget what it was named, pretty new stuff atleast to meā€¦ was like storage and cpuā€™s combinedā€¦ so that stuff like search tasks didnā€™t take bandwidth from the main bus in a sense, it would be run locally on a driveā€¦ or thats the idea anywaysā€¦ looked very interesting.

but yeah filecoin server demands does sound kinda absurdā€¦ havenā€™t really dug into it thoā€¦

any notes on sia and scprimeā€¦ and how they compare to storj from a ā€œSNOā€ perspective?
good or bad experience?

2 Likes

Sia and scprime is long term projects too, last month lot of contracts expired and i think i collected about arround 40eur worth coins from sia. But all depends from used space and ofcourse downloaded/uploaded traffic. Just difference is you can change this price and not set too high as nobody will rent then. Scprime is new for renting and there is not lot of data now uploaded but they are working on enterprise s3 solution. At moment scprime is good that they pay Incentives to host node so if you have anyway free space then its worth to run it and get additional $$. Last month i got from Incentives running 3 nodes i get like 1200 coins (~50-60eur). But they told it will change based by price and uptime soon so who knows how profitable it will be. Anyway i think its better to run multiple services and not keep hdd spining for nothing as storj cant fill all space anyway :smiley:

yeah thats exactly why iā€™m browsingā€¦ i have extra capacity and looking at expanding my server even more to improve its profitability.
and like you say running multiple services just makes senseā€¦ all eggs in one basket and all thatā€¦

when i returned to storj 6 months ago ingress was like 250-300gb a day so i was likeā€¦ OMG must get more drivesā€¦ so many more drivesā€¦ and then it sort of died down againā€¦ but iā€™m sure it will pickup again soonā€¦

Forgot to mention about internxt, storj v2 clone. They pay 10eur for TB, but incoming traffic is so slow that it will take more than half year to fill node min payout :smiley:
In your case its good to run multiple services as i readed you are running raid so then its simple to expand or migrate services to another pool if need more space so its smarter to use more services. Just now after 9 months i just started to receive some cash from storage hosting what is not cents so its very long investmentā€¦
But now because of price rise what means we will receive less coins and shitty eth fee i think profit is a little bit fucked for storage nodes.

certain wonā€™t make one richā€¦ and when including work spent and hardware wearā€¦ wellā€¦ i donā€™t think small nodes will have much of an advantage thereā€¦
mainly because i think when running 24/7 the data will most often degradeā€¦ if measures arenā€™t taken to ensure against it.

i tried golem, but thats sort of a hybridā€¦ it can use storage space in the TB range, but itā€™s for processing tasksā€¦ sounds really cool just didnā€™t get it to workā€¦ maybe ill try on a windows vm nextā€¦ xD just seems so wasteful, but i suspect the project is made for thatā€¦ or they are simply more than a few levels above me in linux abilitiesā€¦

I also tried Golem, but itā€˜s not very straight forward. Setting up a storj node is much easierā€¦

1 Like

Storj is the best. Top 50 coin (token) easy, money will move from SIA to Storj. Storj is easier to set up so when more people set up their node they will back Storj.

All hail Storj :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I like MEGA, storage, sync and sharing.

Storj on the discs, Monero on the cpuā€¦

2 Likes

sia is much easier to set up than storagenode. I never understood how to make it work command line though

SC and SCP are PoW coins which are mined by large farms and dumped on the market. This greatly affects the hosts trying to profit by providing disk space to the network as they get peanuts SC or SCP per TB and itā€™s simply much easier to just straight out mine the coin in a few hours and you will get more $$$ than storing TBā€™s of data for a full month. Makes no economical sense with the current storage pricing in SC or SCP, and SCP is trying to ā€œfixā€ this by providing host incentives which is similar to what StorJ did to Surge pricing, however StorJ is not a PoW coin so it canā€™t be mined with ASICā€™s and dumped on the market.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Mining Monero on GPU