Stuck on 0.33.4?

Pretty cool I got an email saying I can now update to 34.6

1 Like

I thought watchtower updated every “–interval”. Mine being configured with the default suggested value: “–interval 21600”.

I thought it meant watchtower would try to update my Node every 21600 seconds, that is every 6 hours.

I think the email just means the update is ready. I am going to let watchtower do it’s thing. No need to force an update.

If you are on the latest version of watchtower the interval flag is now being ignored to allow for staggered updates.

1 Like

@baker: Right, okay thanks.

Then, I think no e-mail should be sent while it’s not urgent to update, especially if watchtower may take some time to update.

That’s gonna confuse a lot of SNOs I reckon, as the e-mail reminds that we may take a hit with regards to our Node’s reputation if we do not update soon.

4 Likes

I have forwarded this concern to our marketing team for consideration.

5 Likes

The notification is helpful for those of us who don’t use watchtower, though. Perhaps if the notification mentions something like “if you are using watchtower, your node will be upgraded automatically sometime in the next 72 hours.”

Thanks @heunland!

@cdhowie: SotrjLabs is hopefully always going to let people a couple of weeks for updating. Maybe more.

They could deploy a new version on day 1, let a bit of time for automatic updates to spread via watchtower (or other means), and then, on day 5 (for instance), they could notify all SNOs who happen not to be up to date yet, still giving them enough time to install the new version.

Mine just updated through watchtower automatically - nothing to do manually, all good. Agree with the misleading email though :slight_smile:

You’re lucky, mine’s still stuck @33.4.
Just received a second email from StorjLabs reminding me that I need to update quickly.

I may wait for another couple of days… But I’ll eventually update my Node manually.
Maybe I did something wrong with wachtower…

there is most likely nothing wrong with your watchtower. It can take up to 72 hours to update your node. Please abstain from manually updating unless you have waited the full 72 hours. The emails were not updated yet since we changed to this slower rollout schedule, and we are sorry that this is confusing some users now because of the wording that makes it sound like it was very urgent to update immediately. The marketing team has already been informed and will change the scheduling of these emails for future releases in order to not unnecessarily alarm the SNOs to worry so much that they want to manually update, even though this is detrimental to the health of the network.

4 Likes

I know others have said to wait for Watchtower but when I received the email yesterday it did create an urgency, I’ve seen above explained.

“ We’re contacting you to let you know you can update your Storage Node’s software. You are currently on version 0.33.4 which is out of date and we don’t want your reputation impacted”

For only using the service for 3 weeks I did panic and do manually.

Since though my bandwidth usage has dramatically gone up! 34GB in the last 19hrs. Previously I was seeing perhaps 5GB max a day. So all good now! :smile:

I’m on the same page as @Pac
Thanks @heunland for the clarification about the 72h. :+1:

How do we know when it’s been 72 hours? Kind of difficult when the github page shows that 34.6 was released 8 days ago? I know that that was when the windows update was released and the docker release was held up purposefully, but at this point I’m not quite sure when the docker release was actually made available.

the plan is that reminder emails will be sent out 100 hours after the windows GUI release is announced

1 Like

I’ve still got a node that hasn’t updated, I agree it would be useful if someone could say once the 3 days has elapsed.

1 Like

docker images went live on tuesday some time in the afternoon (US Eastern daylight savings time zone) so the 72 hours are not up yet

2 Likes

My node finally updated.
Everything’s fine.
Yay! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine’s still waiting for the update :frowning_face:

@dragonhogan: Maybe wait for another 24 to 48h, then maybe it’ll be a good time to worry and manually update I reckon…