Testing Garbage collector

Just wait 7 days and it will be no problem anymore. In fact I don’t see the problem at all. Maybe you can explain what you would expect in this situation. Do not move the data into the trash folder in the first place? Just keep the unpaid 97 GB for a few more month? You can disable garbage collection if you want to try how that will work.

100GB for 7 days would be 16800 GBh. That is the same as storing 23GB for an entire month. → 0.0345 $

An unpaid trash folder which might end up consuming no space of any given storage node’s drive space is no problem at all. That is the statement that we can agree on and we can talk about what we can do to get to that target.

That is not correct. Data gets deleted on day 1 will get deleted. Only if the storage node doesn’t receive a delete message garbage collection will kick in and move it to a trash folder for 7 days. Don’t blame garbage collection for cleaning up the missed delete messages.

Same deal. That is not correct. Don’t blame garbage collection for cleaning up the missed delete messages.

This conversation is going into the wrong direction. Garbage collection is cleaning up the space that is unpaid. We should try to make sure garbage collection never gets such a hugh amount of work. Everyone is welcome to help us. I can create a list of tests that we should run with storj-sim and than we can go ahead and fix possible issues we might discover. That is the approach I would like to see here.

3 Likes