The digital cinema as potential Tardigrade use case?

I think one thing is clear: A crazy amount of data gets created per movie. The linked article says 350 TB including deleted scenes and literally anything that has been recorded:

All told, the digital components of a big-budget feature can total 350 TB

These data the companies involved have to work with. This means collaboration, data sharing and transferring it back and forth around the world to any party/contractor or subcontractor that is involved in the processing, finishing and polishing of the final movie.
Then final digital assets needs to be manufactured. This requires data transfers as well and storage. Multiple versions needs to be created for cinemas, TV or streaming and distributed.
After that most of the data has to be archived and reconsidered from time to time if archiving of all of it is still required or if data can be deleted.

This is now my understanding from the stages of the life circle of those digital assets. And I believe Tardigrade could be useful during some if not all stages of it. In any case the amount of data that potentially gets stored is so crazy high, that it probably would pay off to tailor Tardigrade even more to make it suitable especially for this industry. This could include special pricing for archiving material as this sounds more like cold storage.

2 Likes