Town Hall Q4 2021 today?

Ok thanks i Understand just wanted to clarify as it sounded as if non owners intended to upload to storj and post link on YouTube but if the owners got a say it’s completely fine btw I’m not against the idea i love it and that’s why i am configuring my own satellite for de-tube (currently uses us1)it’s a great way to store stuff

It’s good that you asked this because if you are wondering, its certain other people are too.

Either I or another team member will come back with the official answer.

Ok thanks and others sure are that’s why i said about it because i have had users ask/tell me this

1 Like

The suggestion was for Storj Labs to upload their own video to Storj DCS. Since they are the copyright owner of that video they obviously have the rights to distribute it any way they like. DMCA does not pose any limitation to that.

Now youtube may not like it if you link to a copy of the video on another platform, but there is no law preventing you from doing that. At most it could be against their terms of service. But I doubt they would even care.

To my understanding this refers to the act of collecting and curating that collection being a creative work in itself. Which makes sense, if someone creates a website that shows the most beautiful public domain pictures of say the northern lights, a lot of work has gone into going through all of them and picking the best ones. Since it protects the creation and curation of that collection, it doesn’t mean any one else can not create their own collection as long as they don’t just copy the collection of someone else. If you do your own curation and collecting from different sources, I think you would be fine. Even more, your collection may now be protected by a copyright you own.

This is my understanding of the law, but I’m not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.

2 Likes

Thank you for weighing in here @BrightSilence and reminding me I also need to say THIS IS VERY MUCH NOT LEGAL ADVICE
and I am still waiting to hear from team members.

For a video that’s owned by uploader there is no issue (i forgot originally they where talking about a vid the own)

The team has said our discussion above is sufficient for the purposes in question.
I look forward to seeing how your project develops!