Tuning the filewalker

This sounds like you using a SMR drive. If so - there is nothing to do. You may try to disable a filewalker to see a difference. It could be OK, if you do not use this HDD for anything else, what could change the free space.

Shouldn’t an SMR drive be slow on writes but normal speed on reads? If so than disabling atime should help. Not sure how that works in windows.

By this list, WD141KRYZ is not an SMR drive?

Some SMR drives seem to be performing additional maintenance writes even when drive is only read from, some kind of impromptu defragmentation, which make even reads slow.

2 Likes

If it is not an SMR drive it has to be atime? Again not sure how windows handle this.

If it’s not a SMR, then may be it could be used by something else?
@xsys, is this drive used by something else? Like using the system disk for data, so OS and data on the same disk?

1 Like

When did Synology optimize their btrfs-Implementation?

Im on DSM 7 and in the process of converting all my Node-Volumes to ext4. Only one btrfs left (one 18tb btrfs Single Volume, no raid).
And its so terrible Slow, always at 100% utilization, Slows down the whole NAS.
Will NEVER combine Storj-Nodes with btrfs xd

Best wishes

Several years ago. It works much better than original. However, I’m not a fan of BTRFS - for me it is much worse than ext4 or zfs, and the original BTRFS RAID is worst thing I have touched.

Here I have to agree.

According to all available resources (Seller, nascompares, search engines) it is NOT an SMR drive.

All storj node program and database files are stored on SSD. Only the storage folder is located on the WD Gold. No other files, no other program or user use the disk.
When I stop the storagenode.exe process, the disc activity immediately drops to completely zero, and when the initial filewalker is completed, the activity keeps vey low too (around 1 to 2 % active time).

Since there are no other files on the drive, the drive is 14TB (12.7TB formatted), the node is set to 10TB, while the node is full there is 3.60 TB free on the drive (see screenshots below), will it be safe to disable the filewalker?

I just noticed not only storagenode.exe is accessing the files, but System and the MS Antivirus sometines too (see screenshot below). Not sure if that means something significant since it is pretty low.

Additionally - Would you really recommend disabling NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates and/or file indexing? Not sure what side effect it may have.

uncheck it…
and definitely its a good idea to disable\uninstall antivirus software (at least disable it for db and data drive)

1 Like

I have no recommendations except disabling a write cache for the data drive, if you do not have a managed UPS.
All other settings are up on you - you can just try.

The first thing I do after installing Windows is disabling Indexing. Never used it, never cared about what it does; it’s just another useless thing in Windows.
I whould also set an exception for the Storagenode folder in Antivirus.
I whould set a bigger pagefile, on C or on a SSD, but not on the Storj drive. If you have 20 GB RAM (?!? Strange number) you can set the page file to 20 GB also.
Also disable Cortana and hybernation (command prompt as Admin: powercfg -h off).
About Filewalker, I run 2 nodes with FW disabled for more than 2 months. Disks are not full. Don’t know if it will create problems. But there are good news. The ver 1.72.2 brings a significant improvement to FW. It will run quicker.

Thanks all for suggestions.
My RAM consist of 2+2 (original) and 8+8 (added) GB modules.
Yes I always disable Cortana and hybernation (powercfg) upon Windows initial setup. The PC is always-on, serving multiple purposes, and all power saving features, except sleeping inactive HDDs, are off.
As of the Windows Security, how the MS antivirus is called now, I turn off Automatic sample submission, and put the storj disk into Exclusions, (forgot this step when replacing the storage HDD last time :face_with_diagonal_mouth:).
I have the Paging set to auto, will perform some testing regarding that.
OK I turned off Indexing of the drive, it looks it will take ages to process, I should have turned it off when the drive was new…
It’s been a couple of hours already:

You could stop the node untill it finishes.

This would make performance worse though… To be honest, when the db’s are moved to a different HDD and performance is already an issue, I would recommend turning write caching on. Worst that could happen is corrupting pieces that have just been transferred. The impact would be fairly insignificant as long as you run a dskchk after any unsafe shut down to fix possible file system issues.

Yes, I know. However, with write cache enabled Windows corrupt databases and likely pieces too much more often due to power loss.

Hence why I specified to only do this when db’s are moved to a different disk without write caching.

I don’t see any improvements on FW time after system restart, with the new verison. But after re-reading that topic, I saw that reffers to GC. Anyway, here are my stats…

Synology DS220+ 18GB RAM, 1 Exos X18 16TB CMR, ext4, 1 node in Docker.
FW running time after system restart:

• Node 7.78/14TB - ver. 1.71.2: 60 min
  • Node 7.81/14TB - ver. 1.72.5: 57 min
    The time is the same, but in previous version, after the first FW run, there were no spikes.
    In the new version, FW starts like previous, but after that, I see some spikes of 50% drive utilization. There is nothing else running on NAS.

1 Like

Sooo, now a days, can we dissable Filewalker only for restarts and keep it for starts of the storagenode service?

@BrightSilence

coz noone really answered that,

i don’t rly want to turn it OFF, just would like to have it OFF at restarts of the storagenode service , i use windows GUI version, under Windows 10,
and the service has 3 options, “start” “stop” and “restart”.

Restarts are used after crash of an app, or MOSTLY after You have to change some little thing in config file, and i just “restart” service, thats the most painfull, changing stupid address for DDNS wakes the big scary FILEWALKER,
Do’h!
soo would like it to be OFF for restarts.

But when computer starts, storagenode service is run 1st time, it’s using “start”
soo that can stay with filewalker ON,

also look at my beautifull cascade in case of service fails in crash:

used to have some offline time, when memory leaks sometimes crashes service, but nnnnot anymore!

The storagenode service doesn’t know if it’s been started or restarted, so there is no difference. Also from the Windows point of view they’re the same thing, a restart is just a service stop command followed by a service start command.

So either you stop the filewalker on ‘start-up’ or you don’t.

3 Likes

You’re on PC, so you probably have enough RAM to don’t feel the FW. Don’t bother with it. But I don’t have expirience with Win node, so maybe isn’t the same as on Linux.