Understanding how Storj business works with bandwidth constraints

Oof… well, here we go.

You mean bandwidth caps? It’s a term commonly used with ISPs and even more commonly used by cloud providers. It’s not uncommon for an initial misuse to be adopted into the language.

This is definitely not the case for all ISPs and seems a bit US oriented to me. I have no such limitations and I’m sure many other don’t either.

Storj is an actual utility token, not some throwaway thing. Also… do your research before making baseless claims. Storj Labs Inc. - Crunchbase Company Profile & Funding

Tardigrade is not targetted at home users, but rather a storage backend for developers. Someone could build a backup service on top of it though. The final pricing isn’t yet announced, but the intention is to severely undercut cloud competitors on price, while matching or outperforming them on speed and reliability.

The white paper as well as a long list of blog posts go into great detail about how this is solved by using erasure codes to deliver incredibly high reliability without overdoing it on expansion factor.

All of this information is easy to find if you’re interested in learning more about how the challenges you mention are tackled and what the actual reason is behind using storj tokens. I suggest reading up a bit before suggesting it can never work.

4 Likes