Update Proposal for Storage Node Operators - Open for Comments

Maybe your hardware draws too much power?

With respect, if Alexey’s reply isn’t making sense then it seems you’ve not properly research the project before spinning up a node.
There are ample posts about that very subject.

Best wishes

5 Likes

Setting up PC’s to run drives is often one problem for new node operators. The electric burn is too high. Some people use NAS devices they already have running 24/7 and share out their extra capacity.

Using a Raspberry Pi or similar device will give you a much lower electrical cost versus a standard PC or hardware server.

Lastly, data growth around here is often driven by the usage of customers and when large customers add significant data, we all see substantial data growth. When this isn’t happening, data growth can be tepid due to all of the nodes out there splitting the data between them.

With all things like this, the nodes that have the least expenses are going to be the most profitable and experience the most growth. Those who can’t make money will simply not participate unless they just enjoy the technology and don’t mind paying for the losses.

4 Likes

There may be “ample posts about that very subject” somewhere, but I had not SEEN them and it’s NOT made clear to a person new to the concept of Storj that you are relying on VOLUNTEERS to donate their hardware and electric to make your COMMERCIAL project a success.

Your entire basic business model is flawed - you’re not a “volunteer” project like Folding@Home

1 Like

The DRIVES ALONE are the majority of the power draw, and you’re NOT going to reduce that without causing “slow to respond” issues - and even THEN not by much overall.

So, what drives are you using?

Correct, they aren’t. That’s why they pay you. They’re just not responsible for any additional costs you incur. Plenty of nodes are profitable. Mine are, because I have no additional costs other than ones I made using profits already made with Storj. You may like to pretend it’s impossible, but it isn’t. I’m pretty sure your energy bill would be lower than mine if you have a low rate for US standards, because the Netherlands isn’t exactly cheap. Use existing hardware that is already online and you have effectively 0 costs. Do with the info what you like, but lets not pretend it’s not possible to make money or this is a volunteer type of deal.

6 Likes

So you made a mistake and are dissapointed about it, because your expectations are not met?

We can clarify some things and help you maybe, if you like the technology, and share information with us, how it came to your dissapointment.

Best wishes

Dude. It’s very simple.

Without storj: you run the server, pay for maintenance, electricity, and waste extra space.

With storj: you share this unused space with storj and get paid something non-zero, every month. Without having any other extra costs after 15 min time investment for initial setup.

Non-zero is infinitely larger than zero. It’s free money for doing nothing. What are you complaining about?!

Pleas read official documentation before jumping to conclusions.

4 Likes

Without storj, the server would be doing NOTHING, not turned on, perhaps not even assembled - or it would be working with something like Signum or Chia and earning money that way.

Don’t bother replying to me, this has become TOTALLY obvious over the last week that this company is NOT interested in actually turning into a real project rather than a “hobby” project with very limited ability to ever grow - and has zero interest in paying most folks even enough to cover the electric costs of just running their Hard Drives in many cases.

1 Like

Why do you ASSUME I am angry?

Unhappy, sure, but why ASSUME “angry”?

Disappointed that this project isn’t worth the time I invested in my research, sure - but angry does NOT describe my attitude towards Storj.

1 Like

BTW - I didn’t “make a mistake”.
No, my hopes and expectations were not met or even close - but I have other options I’m also exploring, at least one of which looks like a much better option for my aims.

I’m not here to learn about the technology, after way over a decade as a computer tech and more time as a network tech.
And I’ve ALREADY shared “how it came to my disappointment”.

1 Like

Then you don’t have unused resources online and this project is not for you. I’m not sure why is not clear.

Just think about it. If it was profitable to build and maintain datacenters from scratch — storj would have done it themselves, they won’t need middlemen. Backblaze does it and they are yet to turn a profit.

Of course you did. You expect storj to pay for hardware, maintenance, profit for you, profit for them, and take your kids through college. This expectation is not rooted in reality.

Unless you make an effort to try and understand the purpose of this project, you will continue to be confused and frustrated.

You need to adjust this mindset. There are things you don’t know and there is a lot for you to learn. You are barely scratching the surface.

Good example:

So you think we are all here wrong and you are the only one who sees the truth from one glance. Or is it more likely that it’s you who have misunderstood something, and thousands of people who run nodes are onto something?

Hope you can re-evaluate your approach to learning, discovery, exploration, and general self doubt and open mindedness — and good luck.

6 Likes

To be fair, we got paid rather big piles of tokens in the past and at least I got even more by HODLing the tokens for a while.

For a new operator, the usage and payouts are tiny, but the time needed to set everything up and monitor it does not scale down. It’s very similar for a 100GB node and a 10TB node.

Yeah, we got a head start for sure. But you can still make money. It’s just not going to be much in the first year. As long as you at the least use existing hardware and low power devices or already powered on devices, you can afford an upgrade after the second year. We’ve also been around for almost 5 years to get where we are now. It’s still very much possible to get to a similar point in a similar amount of time. If you look at a 5 year time frame, a single subnet with sufficient space would make around $1600 over that time and have about 30TB stored. Subtract the cost of HDD’s and you still have $1000 and space to spare. Using about 8w per hdd, for 2 hdd’s that’s 0.008 kw * 2 hdd’s * 24 hours * 365 days * 5 years = 700.8kw. At a low US rate of $0.15 per kwh, you’d pay about $105 for that. Leaving almost $900 profit. But even better, at that time you’re making around $50 a month, HDD’s would be cheaper and you don’t even need 2 of them for that whole period.

None of the high earners now got it handed to them. We all had to spend time to make money. This is not a short term get rich quick scheme. But it is profitable, even if you include cost of HDD’s and energy. Definitely if you follow the advise of only using what you already have AND have online.

5 Likes

Ha, maybe if they use your overoptimistic “realistic earnings calculator” :grin:

No but seriously, this will not be the last price cut and customer data has mostly be stagnant in the last few months. It’s difficult to make Predictions, especially about the future! :wink: No way you can give a respectable outlook for the next 5y. I will soon spin up a Docker for STORJ, to compare your calculator with actual numbers.

1 Like

I’ve always been very open to substantiated corrections. Please let me know which of the values in the table on the right you think are incorrect on the associated topic and provide some evidence from your nodes as to why the values are incorrect. But this is not the topic for that.

Here I am going to agree with you. The future is unpredictable at the least. Then again, HDD costs also go down. This however is why I’ve never spend a cent on new hardware that I hadn’t already earned with Storj. I’m pretty risk averse and was never willing to be in the negative to run my nodes. So yeah, grain of salt or more with all predictions.

That I very much appreciate. It would be helpful if you could track vetting as well as that process has significantly changed since I last did the same thing. But just FYI, I have been doing this and have more nodes than I would otherwise have just to keep track of node behavior and differences between nodes of different ages. That’s where many of the value adjustments and logic adjustments over the past years have come from. Anyway, the place to post about that is here: Realistic earnings estimator
I welcome any and all feedback, but I do require some actual data in order to make changes. Thanks if you want to help out though!

2 Likes

My node is 20.88TB, that’s probably the maximum you can get now. Last month I got paid $32. The space usage was pretty much flat the last two months, assuming this continues, I am looking at $384/year. Now, I already know how to run the node etc, so it does not take that much time to monitor it (and it’s a good thing that I have one big node instead of lots of small ones).

Someone setting up a brand new node will likely not see any money in the first year (little usage and the held percentage). At least for me there is a limit if minimum earnings below which it is not worth spending the time. For example, I would not run an ASIC miner if it made 2EUR/month over the cost of electricity, because even that “profit” would just be eaten by exchange and transfer fees.

Pretty much the only reason I keep running my node now is the hope if Storj somehow taking off and the traffic going up by a lot. And, you know, I already have the drives etc.

“Using only what you have online anyway” sounds great, but doesn’t work for most people, since the requirement is:

1. A lot of empty space (at least if you want to earn anything above the transfer/exchange fees)
  2. No plans whatsoever to use that space for anything else (no way to shrink a node).
    So, basically, it only works for people who bought 10TB hard drives for their file server instead of 1TB by mistake.

@IsThisOn
To save you some trouble, here are the disk space statistics of my node for the last 2 years:
All satellites:

OK, the no longer active europe-north-1 is distorting the graph, let’s remove it and us2:

So, about 7TB growth in 2 years, most of the growth being concentrated in a couple of months.

Here’s a non-stacked graph:

Taking shorter time periods, here’s the last 6 months:

And the last 3 months:

It’s flat or even shrinking.

7 Likes

And that is perfectly fine. Those people should just accept the reality and find something else that is suited for them, instead of complaining that it is not for them.

Quoting myself:

If it is eaten, fine, but otherwise a profit is a profit doesn’t matter how small.

If monitoring it, exchanging the crypto coins for Euros etc takes one hour per month, and you get 2EUR/month of “real profit”, that means you are working for 2EUR/h or way below minimum wage in a lot of countries.

1 Like