Update Proposal for Storage Node Operators

This right here is one of the many reasons why STORJ is not able to compete with AWS or even Backblaze! And this is not something they can get done in a year. Probably never.

This is the part where nodes and STORJ should finally realize, we are not selling an AWS premium product! We can’t even keep up with Backblaze! When it comes to S3, the story gets even worse. S3 is an industry-standard that everyone uses. It seems like our S3 is fully centralized, every GB comes at a huge loss for STORJ, it does not scale, and the performance crumbles under load.
I wonder, what more needs to happen for SNO and the STORJ team to finally realize, what STORJ is right now? STORJ is nothing more than a backup solution in its current state. So please act like it. If you find a new use case in the future, fine! But right now, get the basics done first!

So where should we go from here in my opinion?
Easy, find backup customers by offering compelling prices to them.
We already have established, that we can’t lower the storage price too much because of electricity prices.
4$ for storage and 5$ for egress is something that sounds compelling to backup customers. Give the nodes the whole storage price 4/2,3 = 1,73$.
For egress, you guys at STORJ have all the numbers to know what split you need to survive. Maybe it is 2,5$ for STORJ and 2,5$ for nodes?

But that is not enough. You need to get your shit together asap!

• Cut costs. If edge services come at a loss, get rid of them! Will we lose customers? Hell yes! But nobody wants customers that cost them money.
  • Is the 2,3 factor maybe a little bit too wide? Can we cut costs by going for something like 1,5? It seems unlikely to me, that more than 33% of the nodes quit at the same time. For that 1,5 would be enough?
  • Integrations and Influencers! We need a STORJ backup solution on every device now! Synology, QNAP, Unraid, Proxmox and all that other stuff selfhoster use! How else would we get customer data? Subreddits like /selfhosted or /homelab should be your target audience. When Lawrence systems or servethehome publish a youtube vid about STORJ, you have reached your PR goal.

In the end, it all comes down to one thing that is true for so many failing companies:
get your priorities straight!

Like Jesus Christ, how STORJ is not on that list

despite being around for more than one year is beyond me! And that is just one example!

2 Likes