Update Proposal for Storage Node Operators

@jakesteele You guys keep looking at it from the wrong angle. Nobody cares what your costs are. I am sorry, but that is the hard truth. Just like you don’t care how much the farmer got for the apple you bought at Walmart. We have to look at what a customer is willing to pay, what price that would get us. Then after all that, you can ask yourself if your setup would be profitable or not. I don’t say “yeah, I can produce mangos for 40$ kilo, so I will sell mangos for 45$ per kilo”. That is not how it works.
If we look at it from your perspective and do it your way, we could leave prices for nodes where they are, charge customers 26$/TB for S3 egress, and STORJ would make 1$ profit. But why would any customer pay 26$ for egress, when they can get the same centralized product, even faster, with a better chance of survival, for only 10$ from Backblaze?

Me neither, just a wild guess.

That one STORJ needs to answer. Otherwise I will not setup my node no matter what the price is. It is by far the biggest spending. They have to be transparent about that.

You are right, and it even applies to both use cases. We can just hope that this is peanuts and costs basically nothing, otherwise the economics look even worse :grimacing:

1 Like