Updates on Test Data

I don’t use Discord, I don’t like Discord, I’m not installing another app just for a forum that I already have an app for, and it’s the defaut Internet browser on my devices.
If we have here like 100 users visiting monthly, if all be moving to Discord, we would only have 10.
The Community Forum internet page is all we need and is common in every popular business.

8 Likes

I have mixed feelings. This new experimental feature doesn’t work with the lazy filewalker. And how is the cache getting filled in the first place? If I run garbage collection once per week does it mean there is a 75% hit ratio and 25% of the pieces are new and need to be inserted to the cache first? I have the feeling the cache might not be as effective given the current uploads with short TTL.

Because Storj devs are stuck between making filesystems do database-like things… and making databases do filesystem-like things? Yeah… there be dragons… :wink:

I understand your concerns. There will always be tradeoffs but the system can probably be designed so the drawbacks arent that visible.

Running a filewalker cold seemed to add around 15% overhead to insert into the cache, which is probably fine because running the filewalker hot reduced the needed time (and therefore io) by 90% the second time.

Since there are more than 1 restart per month usually the cache should hit more than once on average, I’m thinking it will decrease the total io needs for the system which should be good for performance.

It would probably work to insert into the cache when the piece has been uploaded and the user connection has closed without affecting performance noticeably.

If this works out well then the lazy filewalker might not be needed anymore. I for instance can’t really tell much difference between on and off anyways.

There might be a case arguing something similar to ceph’s bluestore.

Announcement emails to the storagenode emails would be a good route for very important updates for SNOs.

1 Like

There is no need to spam all SNOs. If you want to have email notification just hit the notification bell on the top right: Announcements - Storj Community Forum (official)

3 Likes

Yeah, I remember when Storj used a database to store files on v2…

1 Like

They do for me. :person_shrugging:

You could rent a sms via some service to by pass that, about $0.2 - $0.5 per sms, only pay when sms arrived.

Sorry if it was discussed somewhere, but does anything changed regarding SLC reservation data? It went from 500+ Mb to zero for my nodes on July 3rd. In roughly the same time I see big repair out from my nodes for EU1, later US1. Any thoughts what is happening?

search upper posts, they paused traffic to reper take place.

thx for the update, I went through last ~100 posts but saw nothing related.

3 Likes

It looks like we’re back at around 50% upload rate? Hooray!

Thanks for still feeding us while the salespeople are close to bagging those customers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I didn’t check my logs (can’t have a big log on a Pi5 to begin with). I believe 30 days TTL and the file size might have changed as well.

1 Like

I limited the traffic on all my nodes, with QoS bandwidth limiter, to 300Mbps download/ 150Mbps upload, because they were interfering with my daily activity. So, send as much as you want, I’m not stressed anymore. :grin:
Let Roxor take the rest. He uses the internet just for sending pings to Google. :grin:

4 Likes

I can take the rest i have 3x 500mbit connection

2 Likes

It sounds like I may actually have to save a little bandwidth… to one day rent out my GPUs too?!?

1 Like