Using Tardigrade to store files while running a node

Are there any plans for combining the running of a node and using Tardigrade to store my own data?

I would most likely be interested in storing a few GBs, so, my node with (currently) 3TB stored on it should make more money than I would need to pay for the storage of my own data.

So, if I earn more money from running a node than I need to pay for storing my own data, will it be possible to get the amount taken from my earnings instead of me having to start up the Ethereum client every month to give a few tokens back.

Hi @pentium100 I believe we had a similar question in a recent town hall. I’ll see if I can pull up a link to that broadcast for you

Are there any plans for combining the running of a node and using Tardigrade to store my own data?

Hi @Pentium100

We have a number of integrations in the work that will make it easy to backup existing hardware to the decentralized cloud - and monetize any excess space! As per our last Town Hall, these WIP integrations include FreeNAS, QNAP, Synology, Plesk, and NextCloud.

These cyclical integrations are a way off from release. Your best bet today is to run a node, and use the payout wallet address to directly pay for data storage in Tardigrade.

So, if I earn more money from running a node than I need to pay for storing my own data, will it be possible to get the amount taken from my earnings instead of me having to start up the Ethereum client every month to give a few tokens back.”

Due to the erasure coding of data (which drives resilience, durability, performance, and global availability) data is expanded by a factor of ~2.7x. So you will need to take that into account when calculating earnings/cost of stored data.

With a just a few GBs to backup, you should be in the clear!

Thanks,
Kevin

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, I am in no rush, I hope that the integration will be available even for plain Linux nodes. Yea, I would probably store 10GB or something like that. My node with 3TB stored on it should hopefully more than cover it.

1 Like

Meanwhile customers can pay with STORJ tokens. It is prepaid and every time you want to deposit some STORJ tokens you will get a new address and a limited time window to send it. I hope that will work for you :slight_smile: