VPN setup issues

HI I just realized I set up a VPN and the string template I used from the setup instructions contained a segment with the IP assigned by my IP plus :28967. I recently set up a VPN and I can just select a dropdown menu to change the IP to another part of the world and wonder if this impacts the setup commands? as I change the IP via the VPN do I also need to continually change that IP in the setup command string?

Here is the string template docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p 28967:28967 -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 -e WALLET=“0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” -e EMAIL="user@example.com" -e ADDRESS=“domain.ddns.net:28967” -e BANDWIDTH=“20TB” -e STORAGE=“2TB” --mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

If you provide an explanation please keep in mind I’m not a techie but have put a lot of time into figuring out how to make this thing work on my home system and it does or did work until I realized I’m using a VPN and maybe it actually isn’t working

Hello @wizardofwhere,
Welcome to the forum!
Not all VPN allows a port forwarding. If you used the one with this feature, then you should change the left part of the port mapping -p vpnport:28967
The DDNS domain should be updated with the DUC automatically, but it should be running on the host with the docker and VPN client.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I input the info into the string and when I tried to run it in CMD window I got this response: docker: invalid publish opts format (should be name=value but got ‘vpnport:28967’).

Of course you need to substitute “vpnport” with the port number.

But may I ask what you’re trying to achieve by tunneling everything through a VPN? Why adding more overhead to your connection and making it most likely slower?

I have a VPN for some other stuff I’m working on. I set up port forwarding on my router though and despite the VPN the node . Side question: how do I see if my node is online? This is what I see in my CMD window

Storage Node Dashboard ( Node Version: v0.22.1 )

======================

ID 1aCjf2tEh4VQyEsozrn6wNQ6cVNFaBcDCd8rYhacnFuDE5CQt6
Last Contact ONLINE
Uptime 19m32s

Available        Used      Egress     Ingress
 Bandwidth        1.5 TB     30.1 GB     18.6 GB     11.5 GB (since Oct 1)
      Disk       75.0 GB      0.9 TB

Bootstrap
Internal 127.0.0.1:7778
External 66.188.62.180:28967

2nd line just below your node id :wink:

Cool. I accidently got it working. Looks like even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while

Yes. You just needed to substitute the port with the actual number