WAN Failover & Maximizing Use of Hardware

I’ve searched for an answer on this but haven’t found one.

Is there a way to set up WAN failover? I’m using storj in a docker container on unraid. I have essentially unlimited storage available, but it seems that, at least at this point speed, power of the machine to run repairs, and reliability are the most important factors.

I have 1gbps/1gbps as my primary WAN, which has great uptime, but like any internet it does go down sometimes. I have a secondary internet which is closer to 60/30. I want to set up failover, is there a way to configure this within storj, so I can have it flip from one to the other if the first goes down, and back again without any manual intervention?

I know how to set up the wans to failover at the edge router level, but from what I can tell I would have to manually stop the done, switch the wan ip values in settings, and turn it back on. Obviously this isn’t a very good solution for 99% uptime since I can’t be around 24/7 to monitor the node. Am I missing something, or is this feature not available yet?

Also, I’m running my node on a dual xeon E5-2620 system with 72GB of RAM. Is there any way to configure storj to use dedicate more resources to doing repair operations for the network? Based on the payout breakdown repairing damaged data for other nodes seems pretty profitable and I think I have the right hardware/internet connection to do it.

The same question goes for the settings to try to max out my up/down wan speed. Will storj try to use the full pipe available, or are there some settings that can be tweaked to increace the amount of bandwidth used? I saw a thread about a concurrent streams setting, but I couldn’t tell if that was the setting I’m looking for.

1 Like

You don’t need to stop the node if you configure DNS and use the name instead of the IP in your start command… Give the DNS record a low TTL und change the IP for that record in case the failover kicks in.

2 Likes

I have failover based on DDNS, is working like @donald.m.motsinger described

Here a checklist what you need to do:

1. Deligate subdomain from your domain for DDNS service or use any free DDNS name. (300s TTL for this zome)
  2. Configure DDNS name update on your docker host machine or router
  3. Configure your router with two WAN interfaces (the hardest point)
  4. Configure health checks for both ISP (for check is it internet live on this ISP?)
  5. Configure failover based on health checks
  6. Forward the same port from both ISP to docker host
  7. Change docker run command to new DDNS name -e ADDRESS="my.ddns.name:28967"
  8. Re-create node docker stop storage node; docker rm storagenode; docker run...
  9. Optional: Configure external monitoring for both ISP (I can reccomend free Uptime robot)

Here is one nuance, router should support two WAN interfaces. I use Mikrotik router and can reccomend it like solid stable device, another solution is Pfsense software router.

1 Like

Repair on storage node side in not possible, it working on sattelite side, storagenode just recive repair traffic (paid)

2 Likes

thanks for the info.

1 Like