What if Ethereum gas prices stay high?

Earlier today…transfer xch from pool - zero fee, transfer xch to gate- 0 fee, exchange xch to usdt- 0.1% fee, send usdt to wallet- 43% fee. I decided not to do that one

I hoped storj would have a withdraw function at some point. So the node operator could pay the fee and choose the time

2 Likes

My beef is not that you can’t send fiat. My beef is that storj advertises that it is important that small SNO’s are “profitable”. Yet there is literally no working model for me to be able to use any storj tokens to offset any costs as an SNO except to send the tokens back to you to offset the cost of services you provide. I get that this model works really well for storj - less so for SNO’s that don’t use storj themselves.

It will never happen. It is storj who advertises that it is ok for a SNO to put a 550GB node on the network - yet in the current situation how could such an SNO ever get a payment?

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Storj has already shown to be open to implementing other solutions, just not different blockchains. Sure, lightning is great for BTC because it has seen wide adoption. Ethereum is still looking for what will be the goto L2 implementation. Storj currently put their eggs in the zkSync basket, but if others see traction, I have very little doubt that they will jump on the chance to implement that as well.

It’s just not going to be a different blockchain or fiat. But other L2 solutions on Ethereum I expect they would be very open to.

It doesn’t work well for Storj either. This is not what they want either, they’ve said so many times already. Hopefully zkSync will gain traction and be adopted by exchanges. Or some other L2 solution on Ethereum that Storj could implement.

2 Likes

This just makes me :cry:

1 Like

Makes my miners quite happy :wink:

But yeah, it really sucks for ethereum as a whole. I really hope we will see development and adoption of L2 solutions and ethereums future get kicked into high gear. There are plenty of efforts ongoing to resolve this situation, but it’s taking too much time…

For what it’s worth, that seems to have been a crazy outlier… not sure how that is still happening though…

1 Like

And this is why Storj should move to a continuous Gas monitoring and payout not at a single fixed date but continuously throughout the month to pay outstanding balances whenever Gas prices drop.

5 Likes

Totally an outlier but not unheard of. I stopped mining and sold some of my cards after London - does make me wonder about starting again though.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to. But the Node Operator Terms & Conditions do not mention any other payment option other than STORJ tokens.

1 Like

Apart from paying Storj for their services I’m not sure there are too many people or places that take the Storj token as a “fee for service”. Certainly my landlord doesn’t. Nor do any shops here. Which by its nature then means conversion to something else (including fiat) has to be done along the way to actually make the tokens useful.
I really don’t care about Storj paying me fiat directly. But I want to be able to convert my tokens to fiat without losing most of their value in costs because fiat is what is useful for me.

Hopefully in 6 to 9 months, this will be OBE with “The Merge” onto Proof of Stake Ethereum 2.0…