What is the meaning of disqualified?

I received this message: Your node has been disqualified on 1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE 12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB .

Is this permanent? Should I start over a new node or should wait to clear the penalty?

It is permanent. Before starting a new node you should try to figure out why you lost data. Don’t make the same mistake twice.

2 Likes

I moved the node to another pc. I was thinking that it is enough to move identity to new location and data will be repaired by the network. I made the same to another node and it is not disqualified yet.

Now I saw it is qualified too. What decision would you recommend to move a couple of nodes from windows to Linux? How to sync the files? From Linux to another Linux? Is it rsync enough to sync /storj data folder?

Yes, rsync is the way to go:

https://documentation.storj.io/resources/faq/migrate-my-node

I’ve already migrated my node with rsync last year without any problem.

By moving only your identity you actually lost all customer’s data, that’s the reason for disqualification.

2 Likes

What about migration from windwos to linux is there a good tool for that ?

I think you can use the same approach, but I didn’t try it, so wait for other answers.

Anyway, if you have been disqualified, you must start again from scratch with a new identity, the disqualification is permanent. Do you have any other nodes to migrate?

Yes I have a couple, but they are 1 month old, so I can easily give up on them

I think differently: because they’re young, they’re the best candidate to test the migration procedure Win -> Linux! :wink:

If you have to perform the task in the future for a node with a lot of data, at least you can count on the experience made with your test.

i understand the rsync procedure, but. Why bother? You can suspend the node, copy manualy the data and restart it. Say 5Tb, it would be 15 minutes top copying, not big deal.
Am i right?

also, this rsync is a linux thing, or is it for windows too?

He said he can also give up since the node is very young, but if he will be facing this issues in the future, it would be worth experimenting for the future.

rsync should be available also on Windows in some way (i.e.: precompiled binary, under Cygwin environment, on Linux subsystem for Windows, etc.). There should be an implementation called “cwRsync”

Huh? Best case scenario gigabit ethernet will be 125MB/s (in reality you will get lower than that). 5TB (=5 000 000 MB) will take 5 000 000MB / 125MB/s = 40 000s so about 11 hours. If with “5Tb” you meant terabits not terabytes that’s still more than an hour.

No, you’re not. If it would be one big file, you might be right. But we’re talking about hundred of thousands small files. I’m actually in the process of moving a almost 3Tb node and the first run of rsync will take 1 to 2 days.

Yes exactly, I am already 3 hours offline and only 150GB transfered. I have stopped the node because didn’t own the files, then chown files and started rsync

You should run rsync as root or with sudo. You can let the storagenode running while doing a few runs of rsync. Each subsequent run of rsync should be faster since only the differences will be copied. Keep in mind that new files will be owned by root, hence you should run rsync as root or sudo.

Before the final rsync you need to stop the node and run rsync with the --delete option as described in the migration guide. Also make sure the old node will not run ever again.

3 Likes

Thank you @donald.m.motsinger

thanks, now that i see the numbers seems very clear how wrong i was (and i a very optimistic person lol )

I have failed to start the node to another place. If someone wants to try, there is more nodes to be moved.