What is the proportion of customer traffic vs test traffic?

Dear @Alexey,

I would use such information in order to know if storj is getting adopted by the market or not.

The information we get during community halls are useful but not enough, I would like to have data more frequently, which I can see whenever I want and try to take my conclusion and eventually confront my opinions with the ones communicated during community halls.

@BrightSilence got some nice ideas too regarding the use of such data/analysis, but I do agree with him, most probably it is not worth moving developers to this feature now.

For me even a quicker update performed by jocelyn on how the market is acting would be enough. As I said the main question is to understand if customers are understanding the added value of storj or if it still is seen as niche for technicians which are fans of distributed solutions. Also an other question that I have how storj is perceived vs bigger companies (AMZN etc) which I believe are the goto solutions when a cloud service is offered.

Thanks and have a nice day.

If for example their main business becomes backup archival then that will mean a lot of ingress and not so much egress…

You have to understand that Storj as a company controls the issuance of STORJ tokens and distribution of it (payouts to SNOs). No matter how much test traffic they generate and pay out to SNOs, we are paid out in equivalent in STORJ tokens which does not cost storj any real money to issue and distribute besides the gas fees in ETH. So regardless of how much test traffic Storj intends to distribute, it has no effect on the company’s profitability. They are going to be profitable regardless as long as they take in fait currency through Tardigrade and they pay SNOs in Storj tokens.

3 Likes

There is a limited amount of storj tokens, so if they devalue it then eventually they can’t pay SNOs unless they buy more. However, at the moment you are right

2 Likes

Then I think you could be interested in this information:

1 Like

All STORJ tokens are issued, no more new tokens can be issued anymore. Moreover - most of them are time locked:

You can pay for service in STORJ tokens and have a 10% bonus to your balance. In case of CC you will not have any bonus. So not all customers paying in fiat.

2 Likes

Only one post with actual numbers on here. For me it is about 32% of both storage and egress from customer satellites over the last year. I was curious about this too, it hasn’t changed much over the course of the year.

The test traffic from what I can deduce is used as a safety margin (reserve) and to “guarantee” some amount of storage in case the network starts running out or there is a surge. In that case the test data can start to be deleted to preserve network integrity while the test data is burned through, giving nodes time to expand while maintaining network capacity.

Over time, I expect the ratio to rise, as Storj gains wider adoption (hopefully), but for the time being, Storj is still gaining traction, they need to ensure they have sufficient network capacity and that the SNOs are here to stay, and not volatile.

I think it is a useful metric, considering we are a decentralized network and Storj is yet to become dominant in the market. By that I mean that everyone can simply check their node, we don’t need development effort to calculate this automatically. It doesn’t take much effort and it is likely to be averaged across the network so each node should have similar numbers.

5 Likes

You described it as a short and complete analysis, thank you!
This is what I suggested at beginning - every node operator can check yourself this proportion on their nodes and post results. This way we can be sure that this method is pretty enough to extrapolate to a whole network, as @BrightSilence did with Earnings Estimator.

3 Likes