Which specific files cannot be placed on SMB?

For you I can recommend https://forum.storj.io/tag/smb

If youā€™re going to use SMB for just the data folders and not the databases. Please make sure you have support on both ends for server side copy instructions.

If your implementation does not have this moves to trash are going to be hell on your network. I believe this is an SMB2 feature. But then again there are better reasons to not use SMB1 as itā€™s no longer considered secure.

I donā€™t know why this link is ā€œfor me.ā€ Iā€™m not necessarily suggesting people use SMB, only pointing out an error.

The SMB storage could work when the server and client are Windows.

I never said it couldnā€™t!?

Then I am sorry, seems I misunderstood you

Is storage node code using a copy operation instead of a move operation to put data to trash?

FreeBSD binaries were promised to be released months ago, still no news on that.

To the people talking about latency here; we are dealing with hard drives, if thereā€™s any latency regarding network storage, the majority of it will be seek time, same as with DAS.
SMB is supposed to be on par with any other method, however there seem to be some bugs somewhere causing a performance bottleneck. This is in addition to some incompatibilities regarding file locking or something similar which causes issues with Storj SN.

Regarding keeping the databases in another location, I have suggested to implement that. It seems to be possible to do it with the Docker command, but there are additional files created when the database is opened. It would be best if Storj had a separate mountpoint for just the databases. I donā€™t know much about unix, maybe thereā€™s a way already.
The other issue with that is failure domain, loss of either data or databases is fatal, so keeping them in separate domains effectively sums up the failure chances of both storages.