Why are our earnings calcualted directly in $ and not in Storj?

So you two are working hand in hand on this forum to distract people from the actual problems?

And you say that as a SNO you can swear it doesn’t affect you in any why, then you are either a hypocrit or you don’t care about your earnings on this project.

I heard enough from non owners project people like you.

No. First of all we two are running storage nodes. Well again I am not 100% sure who is running a storage node so let me speak for myself. I am running 11 storage nodes at the moment. I have started in 2015. It was a long way to get to our current payout calculation. I am just telling you that we tried different payout methodes. I am here to explain the other situation that we had before. Isn’t that exactly the topic here? Why do you dismiss our experience? If you don’t believe it you might be able to even find the old payout drama in some old reddit threads. I am open to discuss that. If you prefer to question our right to talk here than I am not able to understand what the idea is. From my perspektive you try to distract instead of just talking about the reasons why the previous payout methodes failed.

1 Like

I am a SNO. I run 3 storage nodes. If you actually read any of my other posts before making accusations, you could have known this. I have no affiliation with Storj Labs other than running some nodes and being a small time Storj DCS customer (just for personal backups). Being a SNO is literally my main reason for being here. I also speak only for myself.

The entire core of the system is not blockchain based. Cryptocurrency technologies are only used to facilitate payments (both sending and receiving). If you want to call that a crypto project, you do you (though if that’s all that’s needed to qualify, every webshop accepting crypto payments would be a crypto project too). But because the storj network at its core it has nothing to do with crypto and blockchain, you still can’t make the same assumptions as you would with other crypto projects. Running a storage node is still nothing like mining and the payout process is still not comparable to mining payouts. You’re providing a service to customers through an intermediate and you’re getting paid for that service. So I don’t think designating Storj as a crypto project is helpful for this conversation.

1 Like

It would be possible to switch to a mining model.
Each minute/hour/day a block could be selected at random to get a 1000 storj award.

3 Likes

or just select at random 100 SNO’s to get paid their owed balance! :slight_smile:

I think one needs to understand the crypto market as a whole before one can really argue why it sucks getting paid in a USD value, I mean theres no way around this its just how the world works I mine ETH and it gets held in a mining pool and I cant cash out whenever I want to cash out. So when the market crashes while my money is being held by the pool Im actually losing money because Im a slave to the system and theres no way to control it myself.

It works the same for storj we all are here for the same project we get paid a certain amount which that amount happens to be USD well It works both ways You can Either Loose money because of how unstable a market is and complain about it because you cant time your payouts because you dont really have any choice because. A you dont make the minimal payout and the fees are to high, Or B you make the minmal amount but you forget to cashout when the market crashes.

This is just how the world works and its not storj’s fault We can try to play a blame game of why storj uses the USD amount to convert to storj BECAUSE its based on the USD value like every single crypto coin out there is. It doesnt really matter if its converted to USD or Not everything has a USD value attached to it.
Yes it sucks but theres no other way around it the market as a whole is very volatile and unpredictable and we all just gotta sit back and take it because we dont really have a say or a choice in the matter.

2 Likes

You mention several times that you have no choice, but this IS actually a choice. Pick A and your owed amount is administered in USD until you reach a threshold to be paid. When that happens the payout is big enough that you can make the choice to convert that to USD right away. Pick B and you get your owed amount in Storj tokens, but it likely won’t be enough to transfer out and sell right away. You’ll take on the market risk and get a chance to benefit from price increases. That’s more choice than mining pools will give you.

And sure, it’s not ideal yet. But it’s not a bad deal either. You have 2 valid options that give you some choice on what happens at least.

2 Likes

Also true I forget you do have a choice to use Layer 2 payouts on storj and pools.