Why does Storj use the STORJ token?

That discussion probably needs a side-thread…

However, it’s desirable to get paid in a token whose value is not directly tied to the value of ETH. There’s also a lot of financial investment already in the STORJ token… along with a complete payment ecosystem.

if you need to exchange, there is 2 options, Ether and bitcoin, and if you exchange directly to money, it always on background exchange ti by Ether ot Bitcoin, so it not a lot of choice any way. And having directly payment in ether just take away 1 step of conversion.

Here is the latest report:

well at lets say 0.05$ pr payment thats an added overhead cost of 6000 SNO’s x 6 Satellites x 12 months in a year
432000 transfers of 0.05$ giving us a grand total 21600$ added overhead a year…
while using storj tokens it’s in house computer gear and electricity, which then is a greatly reduced number, might be talking out of my ass tho, not really that knowledgeable in all things crypto.
but thats how i have understood it… anyways… so the question becomes…

would you rather be paid in ETH or actually have the funds go towards making a better product, making your life simpler… ofc if you get ETH payouts, then you would save 0.05$ a month, but it’s not because the money saves comes out of nothing…

and in the end, if it was to be changed, you really think you would gain anything from that… because storj would just adjust the payout pr TB to account for the costs they have…
somebody has to pay somewhere… using ones own token for administration makes good sense imo.
personally i don’t really care how i’m paid… tho i do kinda see owning storj tokens as a modern way of dealing with shares of companies… i doubt thats a correct perspective… but if it isn’t then maybe it should be.

No, they should not. Shares are regulated in a significant different way than a utility tokens. Tokens will not be a shares of Storj.
Owning any amount of tokens will not give you any legal rights in the company. It could be your investment as a trader, but it will not be investment into Storj.

2 Likes

I agree with the STORJ vs. ETH statements in your post…

Maybe Storj would be willing to have SNOs give up a percentage of their escrow for the first three months on just the testing satellite and then get a one payment in ETH of whatever has accumulated… or something like that.

Again, my purpose in the suggestion is to onboard crypto newbies, not to mine ETH via Storj payment manipulation.

1 Like

i said i saw tokens like being the future and that might be the way people should think of them in general.
just makes more sense… no matter

so let me make sure i got this right… nah … hodl my beer while i go read through relevant documentation on all of this.

i mean the token needs to be backed by something… anyways going to research… i feel unarmed for this discussion which has until now been fairly irrelevant to me since i didn’t own any tokens… but that will soon change…

The beer is a good example. When you bough a beer (a service in our case), you bough it in the can. The beer’s can in this example - is a STORJ token. You can have a lot of beer cans of the beer company, but they will not give you any rights in the beer company.
The purpose of the beer can is deliver the service (beer) to you.
However the beer’s can is have an own cost and you can sell it or use it as a exchange to a beer, but you probably should have a lot of empty cans for that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

went through the relevant points in the white paper, didn’t seem to touch on the actual theory of how the token would work… where would i go to find that…
i mean i always assumed that the corporations or tardigrade users would be using storj token to buy the services, that way it makes sense… (to me) as there would be a flow of tokens in the ecosystem.
and with a “limited” supply it would create a certain supply and demand flow in the storj token value.

yes you may compare it to beer cans, but beer can’s have intrinsic value as they are made from aluminium, and thus can more or less endlessly be recycled and used for whatever purpose.

the storj token has no intrinsic value expect what is created by a promise of lets say a tardigrade end user interest in paying a SNO for the tokens.

the storj token is essentially a Promissory Note, like a regular fiat $ bill holding on value expect that which people ascribe to it.

so my question is how exactly does that work…because as a SNO i would really like to understand the fundamental theory behind the valuation of the token.

As showed the example with old deprecated SJCX tokens based on Bitcoin, even if they did not have a usage for years, they have had an intrinsic value and successfully traded on several exchanges for years after we deprecated them and migrated to the ERC20 STORJ tokens…

Your assumption is right - the purpose of the STORJ tokens is to buy a storage service with discount and pay for service to SNOs. The token proposed to be used in the other services related to the Storj network, for example - to pay to Open Source projects if their customers uses the Tardigrade network for storing and retrieving data. It’s made as connectors. Every time when customer uses the Tardigrade service from the partners’ software (you can see it on the https://documentation.tardigrade.io/how-tos/backup for example), the partner will receive some revenue and of course in STORJ tokens.

what if i don’t want to give them a discount… in theory it’s not really something you should be able to decide… i mean if you rent out the network for tokens, then SNO’s are essentially the ones collectively choosing the price of the Storj Token.

The theoretical life of a token would be as payment to a SNO, then sold to a Tardigrade User and then traded back to Storj in exchange for usage of the Storj network…and the cycle starts again…

or am i missing something here.
so far as i understand it, anything else than such a cycle would just lead to devaluation of the storj token, ofc the only real long term problem i see in this concept is… how exactly does storj make money then, because it would essentially be the SNO’s that would pay ETH to storj for their services.
when the ecosystem is fully operational

SNOs get paid a uniform rate for services rendered. It doesn’t matter how much the customers are paying.

excuse me…

if access to the tardigrade / storj network is bought by storj tokens, and storj tokens are only paid out to SNO’s for supplying distributed bandwidth and capacity, then if SNO’s didn’t sell off their tokens nobody would get access to the network… but lets be fair thats unrealistic, but in theory possible and that should be accounted for in the structure of the a financial ecosystem.

without such a cycle the token would essentially be meaningless and most likely end up being worthless.

maybe supply and demand could save it… but if storj sells network storage / access for cash, then …O.o then the token is simply a promissory note without any commitment, unless if storj want to do some sort of buyback program… which well lets face it … they got what… like 400million of the damn things already… i forget the xact number.

Storj pays SNOs in STORJ … so, if eventually the token becomes scarce, Storj will need to buy STORJ tokens from the market to pay SNOs…

However, it doesn’t matter what each token is worth, because SNOs get paid in constant USD valuation.

So, if 1.0 STORJ = $100.00 … then an SNO might get paid 0.003 STORJ rather than 10,000 STORJ .

But the SNO payment will always be in STORJ, because the payment system itself is so incredibly inexpensive to use… beyond any other considerations.

2 Likes

and you are right…
which is a good thing.
however it’s just or could become a very long prospect and gamble for SNO’s then, depending on how quickly Storj unlocks their vast amounts of tokens.

i’m also just trying to form a understanding of exactly, how the final ecosystem would look and what consideration i should take along the way, before we reach that final state…

There’s no risk of devaluation to the SNO, since the SNO will always be paid in USD valuation. If a particular SNO holds onto the tokens for months on end, then the SNO is taking an investment risk in the tokens. However, there’s nothing to prevent an SNO from immediately (as soon as the payment has been processed by the blockchain) exchanging STORJ for whatever currency is desirable to that individual.

If Storj were to dump all their tokens at once, there would probably be some sort of class action lawsuit in the near term about market manipulation. I don’t think there’s any problem with the current payment situation or architecture. The payment system is orders of magnitude cheaper than any other common method. And the individual token value is not an important component of the payment system, except in the calculation of the number of tokens paid.

It’s possible to use other tokens as payment, but there are really no positive reasons to switch. There are multiple methods for SNOs to cheaply exchange their STORJ on the open markets, and Storj can give a discount on customer payments because they avoid needing to externally process payment in STORJ.

3 Likes

You hit it on the money with this, I dont think storj needs to change anything with there payout and they are not going to just dump all of there tokens cause there would be for sure a lawsuit, Storj isnt gonna pull a “Bit-connect” Storj is a legit business and Im pretty sure they dont want to put it in jeopardy.
Nothing is stopping us from converting all of our funds to something else right after we are paid.

1 Like

well the whole idea with the rolling lock is to control when they can be used and so that SNO’s and others can feel safe holding the tokens with reasonable safety (if there is such a thing in crypto :slight_smile:
i mean if SNO were to chose the other action of holding on to the token…
i’m all for that the payout is a dollar value payed out in storj…

but i’m just not sure how well the ride getting to the final ecosystem flow will be…
if we immediately sell all our tokens upon getting them, they will continually fall unless the demand for the service explodes and even then SNO’s and Storj opinion of what the token is worth controls the price, and again the token supply Storj has is also in their future interest to make more valuable rather than depreciate them… because then they like, SNO’s can sell them to the market in exchange for more people and or better gear to make the network even more appericiated.

i wouldn’t pretend to really understand this stuff in depth and really with crypto being the age that it is, it’s doubtful anyone in 100 years will look back and say they really understood crypto back tho…
i know people can be quite sensitive to critic, so lets just call what i have genuine interest in what the future holds for Storj, SNO’s and the Storj token and how to improve the future that we are laying course for…

there can be no doubt that to greatly change the present takes very little change in the past, something which also applies to the future, any change can be of exponential nature, even with the best laid plans things go wrong.

which is why i prefer to understand the nuances / primary elements so i can apply logical deduction to predict outcomes.

initially this started out as a discussion about adding a minute amount of ETH in payments so that people could move their storj tokens into other currencies without having to buy ETH first.
which is a quite sensible thing…

but then i started asking questions about the backing of the storj token and it just got copy pasted into this previously existing old conv, and without any real answers… but whatever i’m sure ill figure it out…

i just don’t see a reason to hold the Tokens which as far as i can tell would essentially depreciate Storj’s assets, and thus damage my own stake in this venture… and on top of that i would be selling the tokens cheap… :smiley:
but maybe thats just me… i don’t want to shoot myself in the foot…

a month ago token was a 0.14 Euro in price, then 0.13, today it is 0.1 euro in price.
So holding this noken is expencive, I exchanged rewards as got them, and today i see that i made good desision, because i would get lower price fot them today.

1 Like

i don’t really have any of significance yet… so :smiley: no real loss there… but for the future it would be nice to have an idea about what is wise… but yeah looks like i might just sell… ofc i would suspect that on the other end storj is buying them back up … lol

if they keep dropping in value they could live off that alone lol