Will be leaving Storj some time this month - but not for any fault of Storj

Isn’t this exactly one of the reasons we’re all running Storj nodes?

It’s important to remember that unless a domain is removed by a registrar, there’s no such thing as “banning” things on the Internet. Content can be reposted anywhere in IPv4 space by the content owner.

RT can run its own servers or… better yet… buy space on Storj Network.

Let’s not pretend that YT, Google, FB, etc are THE Internet. IPv4 space is much much bigger than Big Tech. And IPv6 is pretty much infinite… but not supported by Storj :confused: … oh well… can’t win them all.

As of today it is still “legal” but Alexey detailed some banks confiscating transfers even before the current crisis but I still have my Golem income so we will be trying that pathway. Hell years ago we had banks stealing even just plain money transfers let alone crypto.

1 Like

I asked financial control and currency control in my bank - is the crypto still legal? Because from our laws it’s legal and not forbidden. But more important what Central Bank and Ministry of Finances are doing.
So, If I get an answer I would try to share the information.
Right now I’m outside of the Russia and my Visa/MasterCard cards will stop working very soon. I wish to have a some other payment system which is not controlled by governments, like in El Salvador.

@penfold you can try to ask your bank too - how to proceed in the current situation, perhaps now they would not block transactions because Russia already cut from world financial system, no need to repress own people even more.

6 Likes

Thankfully Ministry of Finance and Central Bank are mainly fighting each other!

I can only wish you the best as well Alexey. All I know is this is a horrible time for normal people on all sides. We have met some amazing people in Russia - some who would give you their last food and the shirt off their back. So I hope others here will not equate Russian=bad and my family knows better than most that the ability to change things here for the better is non existent for ordinary people. For those who may now know mortgage interest rates have soared here so there are going to be a lot of homeless people very soon. it is just sadness all around as best I can see.

3 Likes

Graceful exit has been irrelevant for some time and remains so. Amongst the issues Storj management has decided not to fix. When it is time, it will be shutdown and delete.

Wanna share what those issues are?
I run 5 nodes and had no issues that Storj didn’t fix…

Agree.

However, I’m going to flag your post… because I really do think it’s beyond the scope of the forum and not useful. I don’t think I’ve flagged anything in more than 2 years… It’s not personal, I just don’t think going down the geopolitical rabbit hole on this topic is a good thing for the forum.

2 Likes

@SGC @serger001 please stop politic discussions. This will not help. If you need to - please use different services or DMs.
This is an official warning. I rarely uses my powers, please do not force me, I would appreciate.

7 Likes

It does not even need to go that far, blocking DNS traffic by a nation is pretty straightforward, remember when Pakistan tried to blackhole YouTube?

Any given individual can easily bypass any given “Internet Level” block. DNS lookups can be encrypted and/or tunneled.

Furthermore, there are now numerous methods of bypassing/replacing traditional infrastructure components…

Storj is one of those methods.

Decentralized and/or distributed content storage and retrieval makes it nearly impossible to remove the content. Browsers with built-in IPFS resolvers along with ENS lookups, make it very possible to provide access to content that is simply not blockable.

The last resort of the censor will be Bot-net DDoS… which will only result in slowing content access… but not content removal.

If there’s a single open pathway between any set of networks, “blocking” content is simply not actually possible for those determined to gain access.

I am not going to lie. Here in Germany, there are trains full of refugees arriving. You might have seen the images in the media. In reality, it is even worse than just a few pictures they show in the media. So if you want to cross the border maybe not test the reaction over here.

How about China or some other country like that? Or can you get back to Australia? Shouldn’t that work?

2 Likes

I can’t speak for Germany, but in your neighbor country to the west the Netherlands, people understand that it is not the fault of the Russian people. Even the Ukrainians seem to understand that quite well. I think it is important to reiterate that point just to ensure it doesn’t get lost in the shouting match. The people didn’t choose this. None of this is a fight of the people. And it would be best for everyone if we avoid being more divisive as to not let it become one. I don’t want to dive into the political angle more than that as it has been pointed out that this is not the place for that.

@penfold: I wish I had something to add to the responses already posted, but as with a lot of the personal stories I hear around this conflict I’m at a loss for words. It’s a real shame to see you go, but of course Storj can’t be your priority right now. I hope you and the people around you find a good way forward and I wish you the best! Hopefully we’ll see you back here before too long.

5 Likes

Just wait a bit longer. At the moment Poland is catching a lot of refugees. Just a fraction gets sent over to Berlin. Berlin itself has issues keeping up with the growing amount. Up next they will get sent further to the west. It does change your perspective seeing a train full of 300 people and most of them are children. I understand your point that it is not the fault of the Russian people but I am sure you can also understand my point. It is not the fault of these children either. The problem is with every train arriving here you start asking what is the price I am willing to pay in order to help these children to get back to their parents. The lives of these children have a higher value for me.

I would not send anyone back to Russia who is living here for a few months now but I would kindly request that the people that want to migrate to Germany now first do everything they can to stop the war. As soon as the war is over we can be friends again like before.

2 Likes

Not totally sure on that - there are a lot of R people living in the western countries, supporting, defending or at least don’t care of what is going on with Ukraine. Some are colleagues, some neighbors, some friends.

So far. I don’t feel much angry about that, but confused a lot.

Children, women, old people?

Anyway: peace. :v:t2:

I am not going to go into detail here about our plans or our issues.
Suffice to say that my wife has a medical condition that precludes Australia as a viable option for now.
Besides, the costs of Australia would be far more than other possibilities we have identified.
We also have a cat - and importing animals into Australia from here was not possible even at the best of times. And I don’t abandon animals. He was picked up from the street so I won’t allow him to return there.

5 Likes

Littleskunk, I will be as honest here as you. You will not be one of the people I miss from this forum. I find most of your posts obnoxious at the best of times and here you hit a new low. Children are Children no matter their nationality and they should take no blame, responsibility or accountability for the actions of their parents. It is the actions of the adults that make these messes - the children just have to deal and suffer with it. And make no mistake here - the sanctions imposed on Russia WILL damage my own kids - in fact they already have. The Western Allies decided in WW2 that the children of the senior Nazi leadership bore no responsibility for the actions of their parents. In other words “The sins of the father do not pass to the son”. So, as a parent I find your words completely obnoxious. That children have to suffer because of this conflict is abhorrent no matter what border they are within - and make no mistake about it children will die here. Just slower.

2 Likes

If you think this, you are wrong. This is cold war two and the world has changed. It isn’t going back to how it was before.

Ok good point. I didn’t know that. How about China or other “neutral” countries? Would that be an option?

Please don’t take it personally. I am fully aware that the image that gets presented to me is not accurate and missing a lot of issues you are facing now. The other way around it might be the same. So please take into account that the information that you get presented is also not accurate and the reason for our disagreement. Besides that disagreement, we can still try to find a solution for you.

One of the other points was crypto trading. For a long time that was partially not legal over here as well. There is a workaround that the government can’t stop. Good old p2p trading on the street. There are some safety rules to remember. Best meeting places are public with lots of people around. Better trade smaller amounts. Maybe take a honey pot wallet (same seed but 2 different passwords) with you. That way you can trade relativly safe.

I understand Mir is something that will be replacing Visa/MC payments processors. I think I read somewhere that the payment system is also used in China.

If this is true, it may signal the end of the USD as the global reserve currency. I’m not sure what that might do to the value of ERC-20 tokens, but it’s likely to send Mainline ETH and BTC very high in the near future… but now I’ll have difficulty figuring out rising token values vs. sinking USD values…

Very fast paced Global changes going on right now. Some philosophers might call it a “Fourth Turning”… but I tend to not believe in such clockwork cycles of humanity.

2 Likes

MIR accepted in limited number of countries: Turkey, Vietnam, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
But there is also MIR-UnionPay, it should work in more wide number of countries, but I didn’t find the list on the MIR site.

Regarding humanity - Indians (and many other) believes that we are the fifth civilization on Earth. Almost all previous are self-destructed in total wars (except one or two where the natural disaster is happened, but some believes that they was provoked by wars too).