Wow, that's weird [drop on "Disk Space Used This Month" graph]

2020-11-23 20_43_36-Node Dashboard same

looks like this explains why itā€™s going all crazy right nowā€¦
they are migrating the satellites cluster and the accounting system is being replacedā€¦ so no wonder its acting up. you can read about it in the new change log

Yea, saw that. Not happy about being part of an unclean migration, but understand it can happen. Just not sure though why there wasnā€™t more testing to develop a fix to mitigate this- I mean Iā€™d hope thereā€™s a CI/CD setup specifically for making sure things arenā€™t breaking too bad.

1 Like

well itā€™s to fix the issue we ponderingā€¦ or thatā€™s how i understand itā€¦

and itā€™s not critical infrastructure for the nodes, meaning it really canā€™t go bad, from our perspectiveā€¦
and when implemented maybe this disk space used this month graph will finally stop being all weird because the new system will not require the same level of computation that the old system didā€¦

ofc itā€™s critical for tardigrade that there is no double spendā€¦ but even if there was for a short timeā€¦ it doesnā€™t matter to muchā€¦ ofc i suppose in theory the worst case would be tardigrade denying uploads if the system truly failedā€¦

and the reason itā€™s affecting the space used ā€¦ graph might just be because the cluster / satellites are doing a lot of processing right now to convert into the new system or whateverā€¦

i duno how it worksā€¦ but it doesnā€™t worry me one bitā€¦ i cannot imagine this affecting SNOā€™s much

iā€™m more worried about when to updateā€¦ i skipped the last update because there was a good deal of people having issues with the new orders.db or whateverā€¦ in 1.16.1
so hopefully i wonā€™t get into trouble when going from 1.15.3 to 1.17.1
and hopefully more SNOā€™s wonā€™t suffer when updating from 1.16.1 to 1.17.1

I must have missed the bullet on that one- 1.15.3 to 1.16.1 went fine and I donā€™t imagine major issues into 1.17.4 - that being said, stranger things have happened.

from my understanding it was only an issue that hit very old nodes maybeā€¦ something with some of their orders being from an old versionā€¦ so in theory i should be okay to just updateā€¦
but saw more than a few affected on the forumā€¦ ofc thats how it goes when updating software infrastructure or whatever one calls itā€¦ core processes, functions, thingamajigsā€¦

most likely not be a huge issue since we didnā€™t see a new patched release, something which i sort of expectedā€¦ found that a bit surprising, but maybe there was no fix for it and if 98% of the nodes where updatedā€¦ then the damage already had happenedā€¦

1.17.4 ā€¦ i think i need to read up on version numbers againā€¦ why is it .4 and not .1
i mean we went from 1.15.1 to 1.15.3 (because of a mistake) then we went back to 1.16.1 and now we go to 1.17.4
either i canā€™t count or whoever is in control of these version numbers canā€™tā€¦

I believe there was a 1.17.1 for a period- but I think thereā€™s merit to 1.17.4:

1 Like

Here are the ā€œmissingā€ releases:

Not every version is released outside Storjā€™s own development.

Overall, version numbers are pretty arbitrary. Chrome is on version 87 for example. Itā€™s whatever works for the devs.

1 Like

i just donā€™t really understand why public released versions wouldnā€™t be sequential, sure itā€™s more or less completely irrelevant, ofc there maybe some advantage to using the same versions for development as for public releasesā€¦

i was just wondering if there was something i missed about understanding how to read the version numbers, i can ignore the last number ā€¦ :smiley: if it helps the devs
just have to remember to write 1.17.x instead
does that mean devs have x factor?

This about why we rollout to SN different patch versions on each minor version.

Let me give some context about SN rollout.

SN rollouts take time because we release them in ~24 hours steps that make the new version applicable to an increasing % of storage nodes. Currently, the steps are: 5%, 10%, 20%, 40%, 80%, 100%. Weekends and official company holidays are excluded from this cadence, which means that we donā€™t promise to follow the next % rollout during those days, although we sometimes do; when some rollout isnā€™t finished and runs on any of those days, the rollout continues the following business day.

The storage nodes which follow the cursor are the ones that use the storage node updater which, currently, are the ones installed through or Windows and Linux installer.

The ones using the Docker images and Watchtower are updated when we publish the new Docker images and Watchtower executes the check. The Docker images are just published right after we deploy the 100% step.

But, why do we only roll out some versions?

Because sometimes we need/want to release some Satellite updates and avoid selecting all the SN changes that we want to release for the next release and other times, there arenā€™t any new changes for the storage node so we wait until we have them to create a new release.

Considering that some Satellite updates are released in a pretty short period of time, just hours if we start a new SN release roll out on each version, we would end up that SN release may never catch up with the last version due to our ~24 hours percentage release commented above.

I hope that this comment clarifies, why SN releases arenā€™t consecutive.

5 Likes

My stats this month show this curious drop in storage usage.

How can it happen?
I havenā€™t had downtime. And if it were due to somebody deleting and reuploading, I would have seen the effect on bandwidth (and bandwidth usage havenā€™t skyrocketed).

Thatā€™s what happened to everyone

it doesnā€™t graph disk space used, itā€™s graphing satellite storage calculation speedsā€¦
you can basically super impose rmonā€™s graph on top of mine and see the exact same thing.
nearlyā€¦ the only thing you can take away from this graph is the average it gives, it could be represented in a single line of the avg over the days and it would be more useful and accurateā€¦ lol
makes me sad and angry every time i look at itā€¦ itā€™s just mass broadcast confusion.

just look at total disk space used space and then generally thats about what youā€™ve had for a monthā€¦ and what you will get paid forā€¦
ofc the less data stored the less accurate it will be because it can change rather quickly, like in dada181ā€™s caseā€¦ because itā€™s a new node.

1 Like