1st Node is an RPi Running Docker - May Start 2nd Node Under Windows GUI (Different PC & HD)

Hello -

I’ve been running a single storage node on an RPi4 with an external USB 3.0 4 TB HD for about 15 months. I believe I read somewhere that having a second node, while not without its downsides, could reduce the chance of my getting disqualified due to hardware failure.

So, I’m thinking of starting a 2nd node on a Windows 10 VM, which has exclusive use of a new 7200 RPM 4 TB non-SMR drive. I’ve read about all the port forwarding requirements for a 2nd node, and am good in that department.

Any watch-outs here?
I read that multiple nodes isn’t supported under the Windows GUI, but if this unique Windows VM is my only Windows node, is that cool?

Thanks
Nick

I would run the second node on the RPI4 im currently running 2 nodes on mine with no issues, dont waste running a dedicated pc for a node running windows. Of all not on a VM.

Hmmm…I don’t doubt that the Pi 4 can handle the 2nd node, but my goal here is to make my SNO account less likely to become disqualified due to any hardware failure from the Pi or its external HD. Maybe I’ve misunderstood things and running a 2nd node won’t protect me against this.

Just that in all the discussion on multiple nodes, it’s like:

• Best choice is to run them in different physical locations
  • If they must be in the same location, run them on different systems & HDs
  • Last choice = run on same system, but with each node using a different HD
  • Last Last = RAID stuff (ok, exaggerating on this one…I just don’t feel like messing with any RAID configs personally)

You dont have an account the DQ is per node. Meaning Per satellite. And your nodes ID.
Its very unlikly the hardware will fail in the rpi, and if the hard drive dies for one node then thats that. A desktop pc isnt always more reliable because of having alot more hardware that could fail.
Of course im only giving you my opinion of running a node on a desktop dedicated to a storage node. Im just talking from experience, Also im talking power efficiency running a node on a dedicated PC this of course depends on all the hardware that is inside the PC if you use this PC for other things. vs running a node on a rpi4 is so much better. Windows is the most unreliable OS because of updates and bluescreens.

Your nodes aren’t connected together and they will not pervent your first node from getting Dqed. Each node is there own. Running a second node will just be a buffer so when your other node gets DQed you have a backup. But if your hard drive dies that is gameover your Node will be Dqed.

Ah, thanks for the clarification re: DQ being per node.

So let’s imagine that the external HD connected to my Pi4 straight-up fails…kaput…100% dead and gone…You mention that the 2nd node can be a backup. Will that second node have the same data? Basically, I’m trying to prevent any loss of the held-back funds generated by the first SN.

Re: hardware failing likelihood…I hear ya and agree, but my day job is in enterprise networking, and even though Storj is just a fun home hobby, I’m always thinking about worse-case scenarios. I recently upgraded my home UPS to a larger model with a new battery after several big storms caused multi-hour power outages.

I def wouldn’t purchase a physical Windows PC to be a SN. But I have a home VMware ESXi host, so the Windows VM is only using spare CPU & memory cycles anyways. The ESXi host is headless and super lower power consuming, plus it runs various other VMs, so the extra Windows VM is no biggy. (though I have an evil side project to spin up a Mac VM…maybe that should be what I run my 2nd SN on…we shall see!)

No it will not if the node is on the same network, The first node and the second node will be splitting the data.
If your first node gets Dqed the held amount is gone.
If your going to run a VM at least use linux to run docker on. Not windows less your running windows server. But in honestly I dislike using windows for anything other then games I run Windows server and linux for everything else.

Just to clarify. They will be splitting incoming data. So the data on each node is unique. (I know you know this, but the way you said it was a little ambiguous.)

@CablingOptional running multiple nodes doesn’t protect other nodes, but it does spread the risk. If you lose one node you don’t lose everything. So it’s not a backup, but a fallback.

If you’re using VMware ESXi anyway, I would strongly recommend going with Linux instead of windows. Linux setups tend to be a lot more stable and your setup would be similar to what you’re doing on the RPi.

Thanks for pointing that out that is what I meant but I can see how it would be confusing.

Thanks both for all the info and clarifications. Will probably end up going w Ubuntu for the VM then.

1 Like