About reputation, node selection and identity difficulty

Hello,

I have been reading this post recently:

And it states that one of the multiple things that are factors on a node reputation is:

Proof of Work - The amount of CPU on average required to generate a node identity that Satellites will approve for receiving data. Proof of work is a mathematical challenge that must be solved by a storage node prior to joining the network. When proof of work is complete, the result of the proof is hashed and a NodeID is generated. The NodeID includes proof of the degree of difficulty of the proof of work effort in the NodeID generation.

So that makes me think: is the minimum difficulty set on the identity generation important regarding the reputation of a new node (and potentially speeding up it´s vetting and filling)?

Also, on the official documentation of identity creation it says that:

This can take several hours or days, depending on your machines processing power and luck.
Plan to run your Node on a NAS, Raspberry Pi or similar? Create your identity on a more powerful machine and transfer it over.

So, does it make sense to use PoW as part of node reputation, when it is not mandadtory to be a PoW done on the node itself?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

No, you just need to hit a minimum in order to get your identity signed. After it’s signed it’ll be equal to any other identity on the network. It doesn’t effect reputation.

It wouldn’t, so it isn’t.

1 Like

So the blog post is not accurate, or every node has the same reputation point for it’s PoW?

Thanks

To clarify: your answer is also the expected behaviour for me, what made me doubt was the blog post :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I had also read that blog post a while back and aways generated my identity keys on hfast hardware just incase. But it seems multiple people have recently confirmed that it indeed doesn’t make a different.

The difficulty of the identity is a part of the reputation, but only by its existence. The level doesn’t matter much. You will not be able to sign the identity with lower difficulty than required to join.
The second kind of PoW is happening on your storagenode during the vetting process, it doesn’t take a lot of resources as you may thought with a miner mindset, it’s just proof that your storagenode is able to be a succeed part of the network.
So, in our case the PoW of identity is not related to the PoW of the storagenode.
The first one is used to slow down the process of creation a bunch of nodes in the same time, or made it more expensive.
The second proves that your node is useful and can be used on full load after vetting.

2 Likes