Accepting PayPal as a payment method on Storj

i think the only payment should be STORJ and basta! :wink:
Because You can exchange whatever You got to STORJ.
Thats why STORJ token was invented for!, to pay many nations all over the world with ease!

You are able to get payments in STORJ all over the world? Then You can reveres that too!
Topic closed! :wink:
And i think PayPal should be forgotten once for all and wiped from the human history!

2 Likes

I don’t think you would find too many customers then.
I mean imagine a governmental agency in Germany would choose Storj for secure storage. Do you believe they would pay with STORJ then? I’d say never…

They are more than capable. To put it clear.

+1 PayPal is not great for reasons previously mentioned

What exactly are we trying to solve here, because adding 1000 merchant accounts for employees to manage does not seem like a productive solution.

Are there specific countries or regions having issues using debit cards?
Lack of access to credit cards?
Incompatible card formats?

If we can get a clear list of itemized issues you have faced in practice (not in theory) it can be brought to the team for considerations.

4 Likes

Just linking other topic discussing Paypal

My 2 cents :point_down:

3 Likes

I mostly use prepaid debit cards which isnt supported. Because I can control how much I allow to be used at a time. Paypal is widely used im not really sure what the issue is not adding it to a payment. Credit cards are dumb and there greedy and you have to pay interest on everything you spend. Adding a credit card to pay for storj isnt even worth it for many reasons. Not sure of the reasons behind cloud storage providers only wanting credit cards for payments. There has to be other ways, Im deff not gonna add my credit card number for my 75cents I use per month on storj.

Yes, most (western?) European countries use Maestro and V-Pay cards, without 16 digit number and CVC. So they can’t be used to pay. Credit cards are only used for things like travel/hotels/car rentals and at least in the Netherlands only 38% of adults have one. I’m of course most familiar with the Dutch market, it may be different elsewhere. But yeah, you’re adding friction to quite a chunk of potential customers here by only allowing credit cards. I’m not the biggest fan of paypal either, but for many people here it’s often all we got for international services. I pay with Storj tokens myself, so it’s not an issue for me. I’m just providing context for how many markets in Europe work.

Ok this is helpful.

If you can tell us the prepaid debit card company you use (privately in a DM or via ticket to the Support Team to protect your privacy), we can ask specifically about the possibility of adding them as an option

PayPal is expensive for merchants, not available everywhere, very susceptible to fraudulent chargebacks and arbitrary impounding of funds. It might be great for buyers but is not great for sellers.

Credit cards are already implemented as a payment option so we can just say it is opt in at the buyer’s discretion for our purposes here.

3 Likes

I dont need to say in private but its called Koho and crypto.com, sometimes there supported and sometimes there are not. But when it says credit card usually it is not supported.

Thank you. This is also helpful.
Would you say that Maestro and V-Pay cards without the 16 digit number are a personal payment solution, used by businesses or both?

This insight into the most used European payment solutions is very helpful and I will add it to the list

Ok this is good to know.
I will add this to the inquiry list as well.
Thank you.

There is also a problem with Discover Card (a credit card in the US); it is detected as a prepaid card.

It’s the card we use for everything. Though PoS purchases work directly with these cards, online purchases are done through systems like iDeal (the Netherlands), Bancontact (Belgium), Giropay (Germany), etc. I don’t expect you to implement all those country specific systems. But iDeal is going to be converted into a Europe wide system (Wero) at which point it may become interesting. I understand the issues with PayPal, but it’s one of the few solutions that works across more countries and is also widely adopted and used.

I’m pretty sure most businesses will have credit cards though. Independent developers though, I’m less convinced, but I don’t have any stats readily available for that.

I would just like to be able to keep my account that ive had since storj has added it. Which is what4 years now?

I don’t believe that.
I think more of a situation like: A start-up which has created an innovative product. Which has to convince potential customers that it is safe for them to have their data stored in the bedrooms and basements of Heinrich, Joe and Lisa.
And when you have a prospective customer almost convinced you say: “There is one more thing… You can pay for this service only with cryptos.” …
I simply don’t believe that’ll work out well in most cases.

I believe that attractive payment options are a mandatory part of an attractive offering. For me personally the option paying only with STORJ or credit card is not very attractive. Companies can have their own set of rules and regulations what they are allowed to use and how to pay. Also agencies and administrations from the public sector.
For me the question is, are the payment options attractive enough for potential customers or could they pose even a hindrance to get Storj even considered for their storage needs.
I don’t have an answer to that but I believe offering a broad range of payment methods is generally more helpful than a range too narrow to attract new business.

Before adding 1000 merchant accounts, at least what could be done is to get a clearer view on that matter and compare for example what Storj competitors are offering as payment options (in different regions) because there might be reasons why they offer what they are offering.
And the other thing could be to try to question potential customer about it. Clearly asking existing customers who are already using the service with a credit card added to their account would not be sufficient. At least some sort of systematic approach to collect that information before eventually refine the offering should be done. Honestly I think sometimes Storj is a bit too “US-centric”. People are doing things differently in other parts of the world.

I have read a lot of negative stories about Paypal but never experienced anything similar during the more than 20 years I am using them. Maybe I was just lucky and I am using them only as buyer.
But when I have a quick look at others again, I see companies everywhere who don’t have issues accepting payment through Paypal. Like DigitalOcean

We currently accept payment using credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, UnionPay, Diners Club, and JCB), debit cards, and third-party providers (including PayPal, Google Pay, and Apple Pay).

or

Cloudflare only accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Paypal

So I really can’t judge how bad Paypal really is.

I agree as a business owner myself I accept paypal as a payment. I think its more the fact they can charge a credit card no matter what and get there money. But paypal does support recuring payments I Honestly do not know why they do not wanna just add it. Theres something fishy about cloud storage providers only wanting credit cards though.

It’s simple: PayPal costs them more than card payments, and they earn a lower profit margin on Paypal.

1 Like

Its really not that bad. To me accepting paypal is alot easier then accepting credit cards. They just dont want people to be able to get there money back.

Well they dont like paypal has buyers protection. For about 16 years now ive accept paypal as a payment option and Ive never had any issues.

That is a strange one!
Adding it to the list.
Thank you!