Add Storage Node name in the Dashboard

Hi,

I have several Storage Nodes, behind the same IP (and then behind the same DDNS name, with different external ports).
When I want to go to the dashboards of my nodes, it’s sometimes difficult to see at a glance on which node I am.

So what do you think about displaying the node name on the GUI Dashboard?
Since each Docker container has a name, the Dashbaord could display this name, instead of just displaying the Node ID (which is useful but not really easy to remember ^^).

TLDR:
Add the Docker container name in the GUI Dashboard.
Example:

Thanks for your feedback!

I like it. I always have to think about the node name by substracting the dashboard port from the default port… so my node on :14005 is node 4… not conventient :smiley:

4 Likes

I like the idea as I encounter this as well. The problem is, there is no such thing as a storagenode name. I think the name you are referring to is the docker container name, which isn’t a storagenode property, but a docker thing. And it doesn’t exist on nodes that don’t run within docker.

I think the best that could be done is displaying the address, including the port.

And what about using a parameter in the config.yaml file to set the storagenode name?
If using Docker, this parameter could be set theough a variable environment in the Docker run command like:

Docker run -e NODENAME="Storagenode Node 1" ...

If not using Docker, this parameter could be set just by editing the config.yaml file

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. An environment variable/config entry for the node name.

3 Likes

Hahaha yeah, me too.
I hate it :joy:

Vote for the idea if you like it :slight_smile:

For this exact reason I set my dashboard ports to 15001/15002/etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think this is going to get resolved by the future multinode dashboard: Looks like they are planning to add the ability to name nodes referenced on it.

At least, that’s what can be concluded from what’s shown in the UserTesting mockup.

1 Like

That’s what I think too and that’s a very good idea!

Though, it doesn’t mean that individual dashboards shouldn’t be upgraded.

Using the port number to guess on which node you are is a good workaround but it would still better to set your own name (as we would be able to with the Multinode dashboard).

1 Like

i could use a notes or description type thing on my dashboard…
that would be very useful, as for name… i have to agree with @kevink
they already have a number… ofc some sort of custom naming scheme might be useful.