Adding additional hard drives

Hello @seaturtlemining ,
Welcome to the forum!

So, unlikely it will be simpified any time soon. You need to have a responsibility for the service which you offer. The storagenode is a server, offering your free space and bandwidth to the customers, the customers want to have a reliable service.

This does not answer the question regarding running multiple nodes on a Windows machine. I am really hoping for an official way to add more than 1 drive letter/folder/HDD/whatever as v2 allowed.

No official support. But with new information I no longer advise using docker on windows due to issues with SQLite db’s. You can do some manual trickery to create multiple different services or use this community created tool: Win GUI Storj Node Toolbox

It doesn’t seem to have been updated recently, but I think it should still work. If you have questions you can ask in that topic. @Vadim is generally willing to help out. But be sure to use the search feature first.

1 Like

I don’t really understand your answer given that my question was being nice to say, “why are you approaching the publishing of multiple drives on the same array as clumsy as you do”? Why would someone want to map each drive as if it was an indepedent port even to the same network interface? That is like creating a unique web port for every page you publish under the same web server? Page 1 - port 80, page 2 - port 81, page 3 - port 83?

A Chia rig has 32 hard drive slots and in a non-array mode you want use to treat each drive as a unique instance? I can see how that would work, but that is alot or is your target node really just people with some extra space on a harddrive?

From a decentralization standpoint, 1 HDD per physical location/IP would be better than 32 HDDs, yes.

Absolutely all for decentralization, but StorJ has an opportunity to pickup a bunch of disenfranchised Chia miners to repurpose HDD space to StorJ. Not creating mega nodes, just a few more “beefy” nodes.

Not really, Storj already ensures that a single IP doesn’t get more than 1 piece for a segment. So decentralization is in tact either way.

Yeah, perhaps… But these may actually not be the best people to attract. This has happened before with BURST and the people who came in really didn’t take care of their nodes and ran very unreliable setups. There isn’t really a shortage of node operators yet and there is something to say for keeping a reliable base rather than quick expansion with people who don’t care and don’t take good care of their setups.

4 Likes