Adding storj to Mastodon

I haven’t been able to find any documentation to add Storj.io to Mastodon as file storage. Is this something you can’t do?

Did you check that thread?
Maybe it would help you configure it the way you want.

1 Like

I’m still clueless. I’m not sure which AWS parts correspond with which Storj parts. I feel like some are missing. Also I tried that nginx config and crashed nginx.

StorJ DCS would be the Object storage provider in the mastodon link. You would still need the other items mentioned, i.e. domain name, VPS, email provider.

2 Likes

Hello, everyone. Sorry to revive this older thread, however it has kind of reached a point where most people are leaving Twitter and our community has decided that we’d rather make their own Mastodon server. I think it’s the perfect use case where StorJ can be used. I want to ask, since some time has passed when this question was spoken, is there any way to connect Mastodon to StorJ so to speak “out of the box”, or does it require a lot of additional customization? So, I’m just wondering if anything has changed in this matter.

Furthermore, I tried the installation and I want to ask, do I need to fill in the region? Do I have it filled in correctly? Or do I just type something in and then manually edit the data to the cfg file? I am attaching an example below of how I have it set up in cfg. Everything else works fine, except s3.

Thanks for any answers.

s31
s32

This thread has some good suggestions from @Alexey

As Mastadon gains traction it might bee good to have some specific documentation. Please let us know if this works for you

Yes, the documentation would be absolutely sensational. A couple of my friends are also going to make servers, and I’d like to recommend StorJ to them, but if I can’t even connect it myself, it’s not that easy.

I’ll definitely give it a try, hopefully I can figure it out. I’ve made it a goal that I need to get it working somehow. :slight_smile:

Yes of course. You are a good friend to go through the trial first :slight_smile:

I’ve sent the documentation suggestion to the team and anticipate to hear back after the holiday weekend.

Using Storj with Mastadon is becoming increasingly popular so any feedback you have on the process will be valuable for everyone.

2 Likes

I’m a little confused about that thread. Is it still necessary to install a custom gateway on the server, or do I just need to fill in the cfg correctly? Y know, it’s a little bit outdated. But still because nobody has managed to do it, and most of them have given up.

If you use the Store hosted gateway MT you don’t have to set up your own gateway. There are advantages to either though, using gateway MT is definitely simpler, but it will use server side encryption instead of local and you will be uploading files through a single gateway. The upside is that you only have to upload the data as is. Using your own gateway you will have local encryption and uploads go from your server directly to storage nodes. The downside is that it’s harder to set up, it will use more system resources to do local encryption and erasure encoding and you have to upload 2.7x as much data because you are uploading redundant pieces.

So it’s up to you. I think for mastodon it makes more sense to use gateway MT though.

4 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation. In my case, provider monitor the traffic quite a bit on the VPS, so it’s probably better to use the option where I send it directly to the StorJ gateway, as the endpoint.

You can specify anything in the region, we do not use it. The only required fields for GatewayMT/GatewayST are: Hostname, Access Key and Secret Key.

2 Likes

Hi, I just want to announce that I’m moving the discussion to the other thread, which has a better classification for it, tho. :wink:

Our Developer Advocate Dan Willoughby and Chief Architect JT Olio released a great video today
" How to set up Mastodon on Ubuntu 22.04 connected to Storj DCS"

We hope this helps you with your Mastadon + Storj journey and welcome your feedback

7 Likes

It seems like it has been added:

https://twitter.com/storj/status/1615828993957142546?cxt=HHwWpIC9qZb6yewsAAAA

:rotating_light:Storj will now be listed as a standard setup option in upcoming #Mastodon releases!

@bre This could get some cool momentum. Maybe it would be worth to make providers of Mastodon instances aware of that new option like https://masto.host/infrastructure/.
Also Reddit - Dive into anything might be a good place to get some notice.

4 Likes

Thank you @jammerdan
Great idea. I’ll share this with the team.