Alternative to noip and ddns?

There has been a suggestion to remove dynamic IP requirement.

Unfortunately voting has been closed already.

I personally pay for a domain myself and have my domains hosted (DNS-wise) through CloudFlare. My storj VM has a script on it (originally was written by someone for DigitalOceanā€™s API which I heavily modified after switching to CloudFlare) that compares the last known IP for the hostname in DNS (both v4 and v6 which is why I donā€™t use pfSenseā€™s DDNS client to update CF) against what it receives from a site I use to check both the v4 and v6 IP addresses. In my particular case, Iā€™m not terribly worried about the IPs changing (though thanks to how IPv6 gets handled in the networking stack on Linux, occasionally the v6 address will jump between 2 different v6 addresses and update CloudFlare when it really doesnā€™t need to) as the v4 address basically wouldnā€™t change without enough downtime to cause my node to be DQā€™d anyways (or the MAC address for my WAN interface changing aka not happening).

Obviously, that solution isnā€™t feasible for everyone (especially if you donā€™t own your own domain), but itā€™s what I do to keep things relatively easy for me.

Iā€™ve found itā€™s generally a good idea to buy at least one domain name for experimentation and/or personal use. I typically pick up the 10 year domain deal which comes up to something like $10/year

I have a four year registration on one of them which renewed back in April of 2019. 4 years for like 45 USD definitely isnā€™t a terrible deal. But not everyone has the level of technical expertise to deal with a domain or has a willingness to learn unfortunately. Hence why I said the solution isnā€™t feasible for everyone.

Would tailscale funnel also work? (Sorry for bumping, just wanted to make sure before using it.)

I changed my ISP and the new one dosenā€™t provide static IP for home users. So, Iā€™m faced with choosing a DDNS service. I donā€™t want to use no-ip payed or unpayed.
What do you know about AUSUā€™s free DDNS service, that you can setup in Asus routers?
Did you tryed it? Is it working with Storj?
Thanks!

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011725/

You can follow the support article and use the hostname in the -e ADDRESS section of the docker command or corresponding section for GUI.

If you see normal upload and download then it worked else you can create a new thread for your issue.

If you have a normal FQDN like yourdomain.com i would recommend cloudflare. they have a wonderfull api and you can update your ip via docker automaticaly.

I have my domains registered with Namecheap. There you can create as many dynamic dns records as you like and update it with ddclient.

asus.com seems to be the easiest to setup and manage, but I found out that my ISP offers free DDNS service too, so Iā€™m going with it, because is the closest.

For anyone interested, Asus routers offer these options:

TP-Link routers offer these options:

• TP-Link (needs login into TP-Link account)
  • NO-IP
  • DynDNS