An Ultimate backup! Parts on all nodes!

Yes sir.
No other held amount, other than always last 2 months, even after 15 months.
And You didn’t reply me on how much it currently cost if 20TB node quits without “graceful exit”.

well couldn’t it be done by still making a file to 80 pieces, but for default level, just to upload 60 to nodes? it still need only 29 pieces to complete a file, but You don’t have to mess with the Reed Solomon, And STORJ would finally stop LOSING money on storage. And start profiting 25% on every 1TB stored.

Well probbably? im telling You, its a wholesome solution.
Additionally You have to make sure for example: that 8 nodes in same computer in same apartment (/24 circumvent) doesn’t get more than 1 piece of a given file. (if 80 pieces total)
And how would You now know, which nodes are in one /24 circumvent?
if they all hide behind VPNs?

You would need to drop the incentive to do so.
Why people gaming the system and making many nodes under one location against ToS?
Because the payment for say 20TB full node is currently $30 + some ridiculous little money from egress $5/TB so mayby 1 TB out of 20TB egress a month there is, its $35/mo, for a 20TB hdd constant in use, if it’s not some Ultrastar, it will likely die in 2-5 years under such load. Who wants to condemn their equipment to certain death for $35 a month, minus cost of growing electricity prices, minus cost of growing inflation? minus cost of watching over this, so it works 24/7/365 non stop?

Cheapest good quality 20TB HDD is like $300 used. its like 15-24 months to just cover the costs, and if You want this SNO to stay an operator, then he have to have money to replace the HDD in case of failure, otherwise he would lose TIME and EFFORT on this whole STORJ operation, if after 2 years he end up with NO 20TB HDD, and NO money for even same used one. So whats the point to be a SNO?

And that’s assuming the node is full of 20TB data from the start, and we know, that filling the HDD from 0 will take 2 to 3+ years! so there’s around minimum 2 years of wearing off the HDD for STORJ when the node just starting to earn optimally, and now, something happens with the HDD, what’s now!?
Wouldn’t been he better off, if he would just keep that HDD for him self occasionally used?

So You see, 1 node even with big HDD 20TB, isn’t worth of a keeping computer 24/7/365, its just not effective with current SNOs rate. Because 90 Watt computer for 24/7/365 is like $197/year alone, if 1kWh is $0,25 total. (in Poland is currently, and $0,50/1kWh after 2000 kWh limit/ restarts yearly, and that computer is 788 kWh/year) Whatever, make it raspberry pi with i don’t know mayby 15 watt total, and 1 hdd, that’s 131,33 kWh/year, $32,83/year for power, but raspberry pi’s don’t grow on trees for free. I never had one, but i have normal PC’s and they eat like 60-100 watt idle. And people in large %, have no reason to run a PC 24/7/365 other than STORJ. I run BIG, 170 watt PC with 14 HDDs, only for STORJ. if those 14 drives will fill i will be sitting on around 150TB of data. That’s $225 a month. You think paying a man to secure a 150TB of Your data is enough? yes or no, leave a comment. (How much it will cost if 150 TB will go without gracefull? just asking for a friend) Don’t look at me, im telling as it is, people BUY used HDDs for STORJ only, because don’t expect otherwise. You pay, so incentive appears. It’s either this, PC dedicated for STORJ 24/7/365, or no PC, and no node. People with already use case for PC in home to work 24/7/365 are too small %, and they already busy with what they doing, to look at some spare change for the effort with starting with STORJ and learning how to operate it. Because they won’t let go only 1 or few private HDDs they have in the NAS to be totaled, for pennys. And i earned it long time ago, i’m already payed off for few years up front even with this pc cost me total of 2500 usd, i bough it from STORJ money, its full of enterprise grade HDDs, i earned from first months of surges. So im forever gratefull and i swore to myself that my PC would serve STORJ faithfully till the end, my or STORJ’s. Anyway:

So people have to have few HDDs in the computer so it makes sense for the electricity alone.
If someone have 2 HDDs then problem with 24/limit occurs. What to do?
2nd node have to have different ip now, or both nodes will slow in data filling 2 times now!
If You have 3 HDD’s, then 3 ip’s, or data will come 3 times slower etc. etc.
So without gaming the 24/ rule, there is no hope for return to just cover the cost even in 2 years.

So the incentive to break the ToS 24 rule is too slow data filling.
The 20TB node has to fill in 1-2 years even with 5 or 10 nodes in same 24/ circumvent.
That’s the bare minimum. You don’t see yet an huge exodus, because it’s been just above 1 month from when new rates took place. But in long term, above i showed You the costs. Not many will want to join for such rates to the network as a node in long term. And if they join, they will realize it after some time, resulting in ungraceful exit. (again, how much that costs?) And if USD drops in value globally, then it will be even worst.
Either You make data flow fast, or You rise SNOs payout for storage from $1,5 to $2,5, with current data inflow for bare minimum.

And this combined with $2,5/TB/mo storage rate, vs $1,5 currently, will make node operation sustainable.

If 20TB will fill in 1-2 years or faster, then paying additional cost of a VPN will be unnecessary.
No other option, You have to remove the REASON people game the system.
And nodes will drop VPN’s subscriptions, revealing true ip, and then it will be visible for STORJ.
So just with current implementation, the same piece will not fall into same 24/ circumvent, if i remember correctly.

Fortunately, You CAN rise it, AND simultaneously make STORJ service more attractive for customers!
At the same time securing STORJ future to ever expand,
by securing nodes work.
And making sure Storj inc. earns both from storage and from egress!

So paying $2,5 for storage to SNOs sorts:

• 24 / limit problem,
  • Held amount for too long problem,
  • Sudden quitting problem
  • Small TB nodes profitable problem.
  • Nodes centralization problem
  • Too low customers usage problem.
  • Slow data inflow problem (faster HDDs data filing)
  • Storj income problem

And You don’t have to think anymore about making 60 pieces instead of 80 as default.
The price for storage would be $8,5/TB/mo for customers with current default 80/29 redundancy. And STORJ inc. will profit 25-15% from every 1TB/mo stored, not losing like now.

So again:

“with bare availability only to pass audits, something like several kbps for egress.”
Making a Storj node, one agree to given requirements:

One processor core
Minimum 550GB of available disk space
Minimum of 2TB of available bandwidth a month
Minimum upstream bandwidth of 5 Mbps
Minimum download bandwidth of 25 Mbps
Keep your node online 24/7

5 Mbps that gives max 1,5TB of uploaded data in a month.
if that’s the requirements, then the node has to be audited also for this 5 Mbps parameter, every day.

if that’s needed, in order to secure STORJ profitable future for everyone, then isn’t it WORTH doing so?