Are storj node operator rewars gona increase?

This is not profitable im thinking of gracefully exit the network. Are they gona go up? or they are gonna keep lowering them? Why would someone host anything if its not being profitable?

Its a bonus to “use what you already have”.

For me its installed on my homeserver and my game/server PC.

How is your setup?

They’ll keep going down slowly over time. Customers aren’t going to start paying more to Storj for space: they’d just go to a competitor. But that’s normal.

I saw the CloudWave announcement and briefly got excited: more uploads: hooray! But then I realized all those ones and zeroes will get funneled into the Commercial SNO program. Bah! Oh well… maybe that will discourage some SNOs… and they’ll leave… and I get their repairs? :wink:

Yeah, it looks like I need to drag a server to a certified datacenter… How strict are the commercial network requirements? Just the server physically being in a certified datacenter or is there something else?

2 Likes

The current pricing model for many people hosting nodes is already becoming a problem. Once I factor in energy costs and the tax I will end up paying on the gross income if I ever convert my Storj Crypto I’m at break-even for current running costs.

Storj Select makes a lot of sense to the Storj business, but as we are paid in Crypto, not shares we will not see any benefits if it works out well for Storj.

What we do not know is just how much value an owner of a datacenter-based STORINATOR (1PB capacity) like device sees in joining the network. If enough such systems join to be able to offer SOC2, GDPR, and HIPAA compliant storage at scale the current network of small nodes will become a little sideline from a business point of view.

This has been discussed to death. Please use search.

TLDR: storj payouts are pure profit with zero investment: your servers are already running and burning power anyway. Storj pays you something for using that excess capacity. It’s 100% profit. If you don’t want free money — don’t run the node.

5 Likes

The node needs to be in a certified data center, and you need to be able to provide us with a bridge/gap letter on the certification.

4 Likes

I have a server that I mainly use for plex and home assistant, for 8tb im getting around 12$ wich is very low im just giving storage or free.

1 Like

Just wonder, how many of those servers needed modification in order to properly run Storj node.
(- turns out You also need significant free RAM, (if You don’t have, You buy, or not run node?)

• then turned out You also need significant CPU, not some raspberry pi toys.
  • Then turned out, Your HDDs better not be SMR,
  • then turned out You likely need some additional SSD disk for cache, if got a lot of TB)
    so Yeah, pure free 100% profit, for those, who can handle it. I surely got home server, on parts i already had, but turned out that disk controller is lame, and need some professional LSI SAS/SATA card, (motherboard got only 6 SATA ports, so gotto buy one). Not like wanting to have more discussion, but JUST SAYING.
3 Likes

If the going rate is $1.50/TB/month… then you’re getting exactly what you’re supposed to (though some egress to juice things is always nice :slight_smile: ). How long did it take to fill your space: a year or two?

I did some calculations for Hetzner, a large German cloud provider, in the past. Hetzner provides at least GDPR and DIN ISO/IEC 27001, no idea about SOC2/HIPAA. Some time ago they entered the American market, so they probably care about SOC2 and HIPAA now as well, but I couldn’t quickly find any information on that.

You can look for details of my calculations in my post history. Basically, they’re fine with providing raw, non-redundant, hot storage at 1.375 USD/TB/month for their customers through their auction servers. This price includes their margin and costs (wages, hardware cost, power usage, cooling, certification costs, etc.), but also customer support (which can be discounted for Storj) and a generous allocation of bandwidth (which can also be discounted for Storj). They could likely also design hardware setup dedicated to Storj, lowering the hardware/power/cooling costs.

They provide bandwidth at 1 EUR/TB.

In essence, if they managed to get 1.375 USD/TB from Storj, they’d earn from that storage quite a bit more than from their regular customers.

I have a node 8 tb of 10 possible win10. Runs fine with 8gb ram with usb flashdrive for dbs. Edited timeouts for rw-checks usb data disk. No cache. Some defragmentation sometimes.

What you mean?
Rpi can do one drive ext4 for sure. With reliable sdcard for os no problems.

Please elaborate what you mean by that? FYI Storj´s Enterprise Customer Support, which currently is provided with SLAs to our paying customers for free, is not being provided by unpaid volunteers.

He may be saying that Hetzner is paying to support their own customers while charging them 1.375 USD/TB/month (which eats into their profits). They wouldn’t need a paid support department behind that same TB allocated to Storj. If anything, as you noted, Storj would provide support to Hetzner if they needed it.

3 Likes

Due to Hetzner prices, Hetzner attracts a large number of amateurs and semi-professionals trying to self-host various services. This means two things: one is that there is a large number of very small customers, usually only purchasing low-end offers. Second is that while it’s admirable that those individuals want to learn how to work with cloud services, they require more support per resource sold, and hence put more strain on Hetzner’s customer support.

If Hetzner dedicated the same hardware resources to participate in the Storj’s commercial network, little or no support effort would be required by Hetzner to utilize that hardware, making their costs of operating it lower.

3 Likes

I have a home server, 2013. The old i7 CPU (Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3401 Mhz), 32GiB RAM, used as a hypervisor and media center.
I run 3 nodes on it, the Windows GUI node directly as a service and two Docker Desktop nodes, all have a separate HDDs, no RAID, no cache. HDDs are CMR, because they are old too, the oldest from 2009.
And they performed very well, I do not have problems with a filewalker, they just works.

I also has had a Raspberry Pi3b+ node with 2TB disk connected via SATA extension board, it performed very well too. The only problem is wearing of the SD card, so I reflashed it 3 times for 4.5 years, but missed the 4th reflash and it’s stopped to boot, so since I’m live a far away from there, I cannot fix it any time soon, so I had to turn it off using a smart plug.
So you are doing something wrong if you need powerful hardware to be an SNO.

3 Likes

I have 11 nodes, 85 TB in total, and the payments have been lower.
I currently receive around 130 USD. Almost all the electricity comes from solar panels.
In winter, 70% with solar panels
In summer, 100%.
If I have to pay 100% of the electricity, it’s about 30 USD.
I use 4 old PCs, my oldest node is from 05-2019.
I exchange everything I earn in BTC.
At the moment, after paying for some HDDs that sometimes die, I make a reasonable profit.
I started early, if it were now it would be much more complicated to start and make a profit.

1 Like

To be PROFITABLE SNO, to be a SNO on lose is not a problem.
I would had no problem with filewalker TOO if i had only 3 node HDDs like You in 1 pc, but i have more to win with costs in end profit.
You missed to say how much TB that setup has, and how much income in that situation, also You missed, to say Raspberry pi’s dont grow on trees, it was a solution at first to BUY one, to run storj node.

(edit: Orginally i meant as i stated, not a powerfull hardware to be a sno, but a proper hardwere, to run no problem node, lucky You had so much ram, i didn’t, but got all the other parts for node)

1 Like

It’s easy to say that storj node is free money.

I have a node on hardware upgraded from time to time for several years.
I was from arm boards and now quite new PC with RAID and lvm cache volume on nvme for storj to get better performance. And yes, there are other things running on it, home-lab etc.
In my country where the cost of electricity has gone crazy, it comes out that keeping a node on is pointless.
At the moment, the monthly cost of a switched-on PC that draws ~100W (75kWh) is something like $20. The income from the node is also about $20 max. And the hardware consumption? And maintenance, optimization?
In my case it’s such a home-lab that doesn’t even need to be on all the time, so what’s the point at all?
I sincerely doubt that any ordinary home user needs a PC turned on constantly, especially when sleeping.
And that’s all before the SNO’s pay drop since December.
Electricity bills certainly won’t go down, and SNO’s earnings certainly won’t go up.

The second topic is those commercial nodes.
Whoever came up with such an idea came to the conclusion that they don’t trust us, even though the product we built together has as its main task to be resistant to such a thing.
IMO we SNOs have been used as test animals for a product, and now serious players may come into play, and we are given to understand that we are simply unnecessary.

2 Likes

just do the job that suits to you, not every job suits to every person, also not every place suits for every job. Business should do their business decisions to survive. And you are not forced to agree with it and go with it. I am also not happy with price lower, but i did all when was good times to be as sufficient as possible, like I have sun panels on my balcony to lower power bill, also fixed price of electricity for several years. Today i am steel getting profit every month.

2 Likes